My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Blank Space
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an area that's less than a half acre, but is nothing much more than red rock gravel. Grows a great crop of fist sized stones, but not a lot else. Tried some corn this year just to see what would happen and as expected, basically nothing did.

So, for next year .....

Planning on tilling in grass clippings, leaves, wood chips, small brush and pretty much any other organic material I can find. That brings me to the sawdust and the giant pile at the sawmill not too far down the road that they sell cheap by the truck or trailer load.

Is it a horrible idea?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Horrible idea??? Absolutely not. The saw dust is just finer mulch than the chippers make. You do have to distribute it much more evenly across the space as it will form clumps. A number of successive years of doing that and you likely could grow that corn. Work out a deal with the sawmill for X amount per day rather than by the single truckload.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Tilling it in before it has broken down will probably not help you at all in fact it will probably hurt you because all of those wood chips will deplete your soil of nitrogen as they need nitrogen to break down.

however if you put it all in a pile and let it actually compost it will be great to till into the soil after it has broken down.

I would read up on how to maintain a compost pile and do that with all of that matter that you mentioned and you will have some great stuff to till in.

Generally you 4 parts Carbon (C) saw dust or leaves to one part Nitrogen (N) grass clippings or anything green.

if you do till that in I would get some chicken manure or some manure of some sort; something with high nitrogen to till in with it.

https://www.gardensalive.com/product/what-can-you-do-with-sawdust

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I've used aged sawdust for garden mulch for years, make sure it's at least a year old & add a little nitrogen. Also, stay away from Black Walnut sawdust as it has a natural growth deterrent!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts