My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a garter snake in my backyard yesterday afternoon!..not a big one,pretty small really,about 18" long..later on just before dark,I dragged my potable air compressour out to inflate a flat tire on my van,and when I pulled it over the board I had stuffed in the walk in doorway as a threshold for the winter it came out and the door mats moved away from the garage--exposing TWO more small snakes,that were hiding in the gap between the foundation and the driveway asphalt!..both lunged at me and coiled up,ready to strike,but as far as I could tell they too,were garter snakes,though marked different than the first one I'd seen earlier..

I'm no sissy,I used to catch snakes and play with them when I was a kid,kept them as pets in terrariums,etc..but now,after seeing a copperhead an water mpcasin locally before,and rumors of eastern timber rattlers being spotted nearby,I dont like having any snakes around..usually the barn cats catch them and kill them before they get over a foot long,and its been rare for me to see any live ones in the past few years..but this year we had a wet spring earlier,and a LOT of spring peepers,so maybe they are going to be a lot more snakes than usual this year..

I hate coming upon one when you move something,it gives me a rush,until I'm sure its not a poisonous one!..bad enogh I got brown wood spiders as big as tarantulas crawling around in my garage and sheds,woods,etc..never mind snakes now!..you should have seen the size of the spider on my loading ramps I left outside ,I went to use them the other day,and YIPE!..that thing must have been taking steriods!.. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
i killed a big moccassin Saturday. i was looking for the short hose to hook up my hose reel and when i picked up a tarp in the floor of the well house i thought a frog fell out, it is dark in there i ain't put a light in yet! i did not pay it much attention until i saw about 10 inches or so of tail going behind the shovel and into the wall. i waited a little while figuring it would come back out. if it had been non-poisonous i was gonna catch it and release it in teh ditch. but this joker was a bad boy! he was over 5' long and thick as my wrist! if i had seen that when he fell out the tarp(i guess i just saw part of him) i probably would have had a heart attack. but my trusty shovel took care of him and he is now turtle food in teh ditch, right next to the possum that had been stealing my plums.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek:mg: Glad he ran and didn't decide to BITE instead!..thats one thing I'd NOT like about living further south or west of here--poisonous snakes,scorpions,spiders,and alligators!..we have some snakes that get as big as stovepipes here,I :i_praying I never tangle with one of those,fangs or no fangs!..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Though at times I feel a bit distanced from you on the east side of the Rockies, I am so :bannana: I don't have your poisonous snakes. A cottonmouth would scare the heck out of me.

Miss Rubber Boa was enough of a surprise, thank you.

Of course now the big constrictors are establish breeding pairs in the warm swamplands.

:goodl:

Sheila

·
Registered
224 Posts
bad enogh I got brown wood spiders as big as tarantulas crawling around in my garage and sheds,woods,etc.
Dear lord, I hate those things. Couple times I've been moving split wood off the rack only to find one smiling up at me from the chunk I've got in my hands. All sense of machismo is lost. :hide:

·
Registered
678 Posts
but now,after seeing a copperhead an water mpcasin locally before,:
Massachusetts is a little far north for water mocassins. A true Cottonmouth doesn't like it much further north, on the east coast, than the swamps in southeast Virginia. Regardless though they will spook you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Have not seen poinsonous snakes yet this year, I did have a Garter in my Brooder box that ate one of my puletts. He wont be eating anymore though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My neighbor was bitten on the hand about a week ago by a copperhead. Put him in the hospital for two days...he stuck his hand in an old tire..the moral of the story watch where you put your hands. His hand swelled up so badly they thought it was going to split open. They administered antivenom.

·
Premium Member
9,600 Posts
Yeah that "water moccasin" was probably a northern water snake, a nasty enough critter in it's own right, but not poisonous. I used to catch them up to 6' long near the sand pits where I went fishing as a kid.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Being from Maine I had only ever seen garter snakes growing up until I visited my grandparents in Florida. I was walking to the pool of the condo complex and I saw a dark colored snake that had to be at least 5 feet long going from one row of bushes to another. The thing that freaked me out the most was realizing that I hadn't even put any thought into being weary of snakes the entire time I was there and I could have easily walked right into one. The other thing that really freaked me out (for some reason) was that I had no shoes on. After I froze I slowly backed away and then ran to tell my grandfather who called the grounds keeper for the golf course. A couple guys came out to catch it but never found it. I never went near those bushes again and I always wore sneakers after.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I have seen more Bull snakes this year already then I normally see all year.I hate snakes of all sizes.I was mowing with a Batwing a few days ago and killed two.It does not matter to me what kind they are they are equally hated.They always have a low survival chance around me if there seen.When I see a snake I feel like I just was jolted by an electric fence.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Watched a show on History Channel awhile back regarding the spread of non-native snakes (pythons, boas, etc.) from the warm sunny Southland Northwards... The line is now fully 1/3 of the way up the map from the lower coasts. I'm still waiting to see my resident 6' black snake "Manny". I hope he's OK, he shed a skin in the shop closet last year so I know he'd been at least scaring the mice.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Ah yes, Manny, I remember that picture of him you posted awhile back, do you still have that picture of him?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
3 snakes and not a single one was a politician.

·
Banned
344 Posts
3 snakes and not a single one was a politician.
Yeah those tend to have an advanced camouflage that doesn't allow for advanced warning. Although seldom deadly when they strike, they can definitely cause long term of pain and suffering.

This is a factual comment, not intended to be political.:duh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had a rat snake "surprise" my daughter when she went out the trail towards her grandma's a week or so ago. Found where it's living and I check on it periodically. Keeps the mice/ground squirrels down so I'll let it go for now.

Her in Alabama we've got every poisonous species of snake in the U.S. I spent my high school years in a little town in South Georgia, Fitzgerald by name, and every year we would have a rattlesnake roundup. The soil, south of Macon is all sandyloam and there is a breed of tortoise called "gopher" that digs long shallow burrows with multiple exits. Rattlesnakes love to co-habitate with them so they were really easy to find. You take a small can of gas, a 20' stick of 1/2 or 3/4 thin wall pvc, a modified golf club with a hook on one end and a couple of 5 gallon buckets with holes in the lid. You poke the pvc in the burrow and then listen for rattling. If you hear some, you pour some gas in the pipe and then watch the exit(s), hoping like crazy that you marked all of them. Sure enough, out they come and then you pick them up with the golf club/snake hook and put them in the buckets. $5.00 a live foot back in 86 sure bought a lot of Beer and ammo.
I just kill them now, but I do remember the day......

·
Registered
35 Posts
I mowed the other evening and finished up weedeating the next morning. Small clump of weeds next to a tree in my front yard. Made one pass and a rattlesnake came out. Popped him with the weedeater then showed it to my kids. Showed them the fangs and why they should avoid them.

Did have two big rat snakes in the yard last month but let them go.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts