My Tractor Forum banner

Saw File Handle, Do You Carve Your Own?

870 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Gunfixr 
#1 ·
At one time I used to carve my own handle but then I bought a Pioneer pistol grip handle that I've used for decades and really like it. I've have not seen another one like it since. I have arthritic hands and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome so the large ergonomic handle helps. Recently I bought a small saw that uses an 11/64th file and did not want to swap files on the Pioneer handle so I carved one instead.

A lot of folks trash talk file handles that are not round saying it puts wear in one particular spot on the sides of the file. Of course, one could remove the file and turn it to even out the wear although I've not had the urge to do so. The other thing is you cannot set the file in the handle by hammering on the back of the handle. You need to just stab it in.

#2 ·
I say as long as you have a comfortable grip and can feel the bite of the file into the chain you should be able to adapt for anything. Rotating the file is what I do as well.

Reactions: bontai Joe
#6 ·
I have a couple of the various green/orange/blue round handles that seem to come with saws or the file guides. I like the hand "carved" one you showed, but I like to turn my files every couple strokes, so the round ones work better for me. Very interesting.

#9 ·
At one time I used to carve my own handle but then I bought a Pioneer pistol grip handle that I've used for decades and really like it. I've have not seen another one like it since. I have arthritic hands and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome so the large ergonomic handle helps. Recently I bought a small saw that uses an 11/64th file and did not want to swap files on the Pioneer handle so I carved one instead.

A lot of folks trash talk file handles that are not round saying it puts wear in one particular spot on the sides of the file. Of course, one could remove the file and turn it to even out the wear although I've not had the urge to do so. The other thing is you cannot set the file in the handle by hammering on the back of the handle. You need to just stab it in.
Isn't that the way it always seems to work out? I have a racheting screw driver that takes bit inserts and it is shaped perfectly to fit my hand. I sincerely wish I had bought 6 of them. I got it at Sears 30 some years ago and have never seen another one. I must have 5 or 6 different hand tools like that. Nothing really special or expensive, but they just fit so perfectly in my hand or function perfectly in the way I use it. The thing is, how do you know a tool will be like that until you use it a couple of years and a duplicate is no longer available?

Reactions: LLigetfa
#12 ·
First, I have to report I'm no expert on hand filing, so my technique should be of no guide to anyone else. Second, I use a file guide for the file I use on most of my chains, and carry it in my saw box for in field touch-ups while sawing.

That's it there in the picture of the contents of my saw box. I suppose it does shorten the length of the stroke, but not shorter than my typical stroke anyway. I file with right hand on the handle and left fingers on the tip which I hope provides an even force through the stroke. FWIW, this guide does not have the knurl screw, rather just spring clips and they ride on the two ends of the file that are not file surface. So, mine turns relatively easy. I don't rotate in a stroke, rather I rotate after a couple cutters.

The free handle has a smaller file mounted that I only use on my smallest saw chain. While the handle is not round, it is not hard to grip anywhere around the 360°.

Reactions: bontai Joe
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.