My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have stumbled upon a free 318 with snow blade and belly mower. Am I going down a rabbit hole or is it worth the time and effort to make run again. I know I'm going to need help from this forum if I tackle this project.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Looks like it could use some luvin' but from my limited experience with them....definitely worth a look see to determine if you want to go further...wheel weights, I see one side panel....mowing deck.power steering components...if nothing else, there is a small fortune in parts ..is the blade the hydraulic one?....that alone is a 300 - 400 dollar item

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Good parts machine.
Them parts sell good. Engine parts, hydralic parts, deck parts.
Would really be good parts machine if you could come up with another to take two and build one.
You have to enjoy working on them. How do I know this.

I must be blind, where is the blade?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
There is no bigger discount than "free". It if is more of a project than you want to fix, part it out. You'll have a nice little fund to get a running 318 or whatever.

·
Super Moderator
35,297 Posts
Well, that one had some power, that mower deck was churning out some stones when it died! :) Hard to tell from the pic, I see a seat missing, what all is wrong with it? I agree with the others that take it, if too much to fix part that thing out to save some other ones! I picked one up in Holland Michigan and by the time I'd parted everything out I got $1400 for parts on a $700 investment and I kept the 3point hitch and bypass valve!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Free? What the heck. If you can get it moved - if nothing else, lots of items can be salvaged and resold if you're
into that. Account the RH side pedestal screen, must be a 1988 model or newer.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice find! At that price you could afford to re-power it if the engine is toast. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
To me, that pic in the first post looks funny. It's like the person was trying to get it into the garage, but the rear wheels spun and dug into the gravel, and they just got off and walked away. "I'm done with this."

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I got a call today from the original purchaser of a 1992 318 with 275 hours on it that he wants to trade on the X530 I have. He says it's like new but he is tired of fixing the little things that are constant. He used it for 10 hours a year. What does anyone think its worth? The one above looks more like a parts tractor since fixing one up can get really expensive and the 318 market is getting smaller with the tons of X300-X500 series being dumped. As to selling parts, a lot depends on where he lives. Shipping heavy things are crazy expensive and there aren't many things on a 318 that are lightweight! He should figure on local traffic to be practical.

·
Super Moderator
35,297 Posts
That is very low hours, if engine has no issues I would think about $1,500 - $1,700. You're right the market is down for them, would have been $500 - $750 more just a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I got a call today from the original purchaser of a 1992 318 with 275 hours on it that he wants to trade on the X530 I have. He says it's like new but he is tired of fixing the little things that are constant. He used it for 10 hours a year. What does anyone think its worth? The one above looks more like a parts tractor since fixing one up can get really expensive and the 318 market is getting smaller with the tons of X300-X500 series being dumped. As to selling parts, a lot depends on where he lives. Shipping heavy things are crazy expensive and there aren't many things on a 318 that are lightweight! He should figure on local traffic to be practical.
If you plan on keeping it for yourself and don't mind fixing things that are constant then let it be.
I own a 318 and only reason I keep the rig is I have some rough eneven ground to mow (rough cut mower/brush hog) and the deck does not scalp the rocks like most decks. I use other mowers that need less attention for the flat ground. Something always needs attention , deck, belts, engine, and if I could not repair this rig myself it would be gone in an instant.
Buying new parts from a JD dealer is also too expensive. Will add new meaning to the term Going Broke if you visit the JD parts places.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It’s a rabbit hole for sure, but you got into it cheap enough. I’d repair/replace depending on what all is wrong with it. Are you planning on keeping it or flipping it? That would determine a lot for me.

I want to know what made the nest there between the side panel and fender deck - right where the seat should be?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
It’s a rabbit hole for sure, but you got into it cheap enough. I’d repair/replace depending on what all is wrong with it. Are you planning on keeping it or flipping it? That would determine a lot for me.

I want to know what made the nest there between the side panel and fender deck - right where the seat should be?
Never heard of a straw mattress? Well, that's the straw seat. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
To me, that pic in the first post looks funny. It's like the person was trying to get it into the garage, but the rear wheels spun and dug into the gravel, and they just got off and walked away. "I'm done with this."
What are you talking about...that's not what happened?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts