My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mower was set to be scrapped. It was overgrown with weeds, etc. Looked in pretty good shape though. Deck was in really nice shape (magnesium), just missing a lot of paint. green wheels in great shape, shroud is solid no cracks, just weathered. Gave the guy 10 bucks and brought it home. I was able to get it started, but could only keep it going by continuously pushing the primer button. Took the carb apart, cleaned it, put new needle and seat in, new bowl seal, put it back together fired right up. Made a couple of adjustments and just finished cutting my bark yard with it.

I don't know why people get rid of these things. Makes me sad, but happy I was able to rescue this one. I am seriously contemplating restoring this one to use as a daily.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Mower was set to be scrapped. It was overgrown with weeds, etc. Looked in pretty good shape though. Deck was in really nice shape (magnesium), just missing a lot of paint. green wheels in great shape, shroud is solid no cracks, just weathered. Gave the guy 10 bucks and brought it home. I was able to get it started, but could only keep it going by continuously pushing the primer button. Took the carb apart, cleaned it, put new needle and seat in, new bowl seal, put it back together fired right up. Made a couple of adjustments and just finished cutting my bark yard with it.

I don't know why people get rid of these things. Makes me sad, but happy I was able to rescue this one. I am seriously contemplating restoring this one to use as a daily.
Glad to hear another one is saved from the scrap pile. I wonder the same thing about why folks scrap these machines. I think as the older generation passes on and the newer generation takes over and what was once standard household chores is now turned over to professional landscapers, so there is really not much need for that old push mower anymore. I think most folks nowadays consider pushing a lawnmower for a few hours a week is just a waste of time. They would rather just hire someone to do it. I think most of us here on the forum are just the opposite and consider the time spent pushing a quality machine around in the yard as just good therapy. Not to mention the money we save by doing it ourselves.

·
2 Strokes Rule EPA Drools
405 Posts
Glad to hear another one is saved from the scrap pile. I wonder the same thing about why folks scrap these machines. I think as the older generation passes on and the newer generation takes over and what was once standard household chores is now turned over to professional landscapers, so there is really not much need for that old push mower anymore. I think most folks nowadays consider pushing a lawnmower for a few hours a week is just a waste of time. They would rather just hire someone to do it. I think most of us here on the forum are just the opposite and consider the time spent pushing a quality machine around in the yard as just good therapy. Not to mention the money we save by doing it ourselves.
I agree I say the same thing If I win the lottery I will not hire someone to mow I would just buy more mowers and build more space to keep them.

I hate how people talk about how terrible lawn boys are and how hard to start they are and I think about haw sad it is that I cant save every lawn boy that is sent scrap or worse thrown away but it is nice to pick them up off the side or the road for free and fix them.

and if I won the lottery I would create the MTF Lawn-Boy, Toro, John Deere, and Snapper sanctuary where any and all unwanted mowers can be dropped off and fixed to be sold to loving owners or kept to be used by loving volunteers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts