My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife asked me to choffeur here around to some yard sales yesterday morning. I don't mind doing this at all because if I find an interesting tool or whatever that I find that I can't live without, I get no resistance for buying it.

Well, this time was no different. I found a Craftsman walk behind string trimmer that the guy was trying to unload for his dad. After looking it over for a bit and starting it, I decided that it was for me.

I needs a good cleaning and a tuneup, but it runs well and I think that it will be useful for the areas that are too small to get my full size brush hog and Gravely into and also for the very steep areas.

The best part? I picked this up for $65. All that is currently wrong is stale gas in the tank. :fing32:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Nice score. I'd like to have one of those for my 8 year old to use - safer than a hand carried trimmer IMHO.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
:fing32: DJ .. I would love to have one to do along the drainage ditch along the road ..

I just dont understand how someone .. can just sell something that dirty .. for a little time and some soap and water .. it could have been been cleaned up real nice and sold for more .. But you made out from them being lazy :fing32:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Great find!!! :thThumbsU I have one of those (actually on my 2nd one I wore one out already). I rarely ever use a hand held weedeater any more. Be careful!! They will kill large bushes and shrubbery you have to be very careful around anything you don't want to knock down or kill. Don't ask me how I know this. :fing20:

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funny thing is that this guy says that he was selling it for his dad and dad wanted $75. The very next sentence was that he would take $65 just to move it. Truth be known, I could have got him down a little more, but, I liked the price and he took $10 off without my asking. I didn't want to steal it.

I haven't had much time to fool with it, but the belt looks really good and it starts pretty easily even with VERY stale gas in it. I will get it cleaned up, download the manual, and buy a spool of line for it. That line is huge! I think that thing would cut just about anything that I want to.

Does anyone have any tip or tricks or things to watch for? If so, I'm all ears.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
One thing I learned to do with newly purchased treasures,is to write down all the model & serial numbers BEFORE you attempt to wash or clean up the item!--(IF you are lucky enough to still HAVE them on the machine!)....more than once I have "erased" them if they were on a flimsy tag or sticker..:doah:

Nice find on that trimmer..

I am getting tired of lugging a weedwhacker around for a half hour or more doing our property,my hands and arms tingle for hours afterwards ,and my back aches bad too..I must have 4 of them and if I am lucky I can get ONE to start and run the entire 30 minutes too..I wouldn't mind having a push type walk behind like that,I've even considered trying to make one out of a push mower,I only have 4 of them hanging around I barely use!..

·
16,826 Posts
Yep--gotta love those "get rid " of sales....

I, also, for the love of me--can't understand hopw/why anyone woulkd try to sell something in that condition--heck--I'd be embarressed to say it was mine...:thSick:

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
DJ, if yours has the bolts that hold the string, they sell an updated head that has twisted wires you fasten the strings with. Changing strings is a lot faster with it.
Mike

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't downloaded the manual yet, but the way the strings are held in place now is by a tang that the string wraps around. I will check it thoroughly and compare it to the manual to make sure that it is right.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Great steal!! I have a older Craftsman and love it. I even use it to cut down my Sweet Corn Stalks when they are done! Only real trouble I had was I didn't put the strings on right and they were tearing into when I was in heavy cutting. figured out the corrct way to install them and now I can wear them out instead of cutting them! I think I found the the correct way to install them on a thread here! Might do a search!:thThumbsU
Mine is a Model 536.773500 and has a darn Tecumseh on it!:banghead3

·
Super Moderator
35,941 Posts
Nice find there DJ! I've been in project mode this summer so I haven't gotten to any yard sales and I alway like looking for the same reasons you mentioned!

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is a nice find DJ!

I think one of those is just what I need to keep the weeds beat back as I clear the brush off the back lot.

I just dont understand how someone .. can just sell something that dirty .. for a little time and some soap and water .. it could have been been cleaned up real nice and sold for more .. But you made out from them being lazy
I usually look for that stuff. If they don't take the time to clean it, then they usually don't know or care what it is actually worth and are far more likely to deal down to my price (bottom dollar).

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts