My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the tractor, I like it but I'm concerned about the amount of blue smoke. I think the PO doctored it a bit for showing cause it did smoke at his house but not so much. It has the Mitsu 2 cyl 25 hp. It doesn't fog up the yard or anything but the blue plume is visible. At what point am I risking complete failure by running it. I assume it's rings. I went thru the possibilities from a troubleshooting chart and found no problems. I didn't do a compression check yet. I'm waiting till I can get a repair manual for specs. The brake rods are broke inside the axel)so I knew I'd have that to deal with. I wasn't looking foward to a rebuild though. Thanks for any advice. BTW I'm not new to MTF but I am new to Satoh.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is this tractor diesel or gas? Is the smoke constant or is only when you rev the engine and let it slow down? Valve stem seals on a gas engine can leak oil at idle because on the high vacume with the throllet closed, then when you rev it up it smokes for a few seconds then clears up. Rings tend to smoke worse when they are loaded and hot but they usually smoke all the time. As for how long it will run, If you do not have a lot of blow-by in the crankcase, it should be fine as long as you don't mind the smoke.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Smell the exhaust. If it doesn't burn your eyes, it's burning oil. If it does, you have a fuel problem, such as retarded timing or dirty/leaky injectors. If you think it's the latter, run the tractor on kerosene- if it runs cleaner, then you know you have a fuel system problem. If not, it may be burning oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts