My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this tractor for sale, the research Ive done leads me to believe its early 80s, Beaver I 4x4 2 cyl diesel. Owner says it was running fine and one day wouldnt start, he thinks its the glow plugs, but he just wants to sell it as is for $3500. Seems pretty high for a non-running tractor. Doesnt include any implements other than the loader. Owner doesnt know if it has the reverser installed, but he didnt know what it was so Im waiting on some more pictures. Im worried about parts availability, but I was able to find gaskets, pistons, glow plugs etc pretty easily. Couldnt find a reverser anywhere so Im worried its just going to always be a loader that I may or may not be able to fix. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS
Seller says it cranks but wont turn over. Maybe the glow plugs were iffy and the cold California winter set in and now it wont start?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got more pictures from the seller, it looks like a reverser is present, so that is nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
"cranks but wont turn over" is an oxymoron (at least, to my understanding of what "cranks" means, which is that the engine turns over but doesn't start).

Things that make more sense if the engine doesn't turn over:
-starter clicks
-starter makes a high-speed whirring sound
-starter makes a grinding sound

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"cranks but wont turn over" is an oxymoron (at least, to my understanding of what "cranks" means, which is that the engine turns over but doesn't start).

Things that make more sense if the engine doesn't turn over:
-starter clicks
-starter makes a high-speed whirring sound
-starter makes a grinding sound
What hes saying is that the starter is fine because its cranking the engine but something is not letting it start (turn over). Thats why hes thinking its the glow plugs, could also be a clogged air or fuel filter, any other ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We worked out a deal and Im buying it for $2700. Seems expensive, but I really cant find anything cheaper that will do what I need it to do. The front loader is needed desperately around the homestead. Hopefully you guys can help me with the starting issue, I take delivery this weekend. ?

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Maybe check the fuel filter/s, drain all the current fuel, make sure the tank is clean on the bottom, and put in fresh fuel and fuel filter. You may need to figure out how to purge air from the fuel system...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Seller seems to think its the glow plugs, but I will definitely do new filters and fluids all around. Probably add an inline hydraulic filter and change the fluid there as well. I really hope its just glow plugs, I need to have this front loader working asap. I wouldnt mind having a set of forks for the front and a PTO wood chipper for the back. Im currently using a troy built 2?x2? size and it does ok, but Ive seen some 4?x10? that will fit on the back of the Beaver, and with a name like Beaver it needs to be chipping wood. Ill be selling off the troy build chipper and my Craftsman GT5000 to recover some of the costs for the Busy Beaver. Ill be posting on CL and link you guys in case anyone is interested locally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had seller test compression, compression was 12-15psi on both sides. I ended up paying $2575, $2500 to seller and $75 for paypal fees as I used a credit card. Im buying a diesel tester from Harbor Freight after work to do the test myself, 12-15 seems just too low to be reasonable so Im hoping seller used an incorrect fitting and there was leakage or whatever. I bought the tractor for the front loader and paid for that with a small premium for a no compression tractor attached. I had a friend give me some tips of what might be the problem, but maybe someone on here has some more input. My friend was saying to use some automatic transmission fluid to release the piston rings as they might be stuck to the piston and causing blow by and no compression. Ill be testing compression and glow plugs first to see how those are and remove all the diesel that is in the tank and bleeding the fuel system with some new diesel. Im still waiting on all the manuals to arrive, so Im not quite sure where all the drain, and fill holes are for all the fluids involved. Is there an online source for a digital copy if the service and operatord manuals? I prefer hard copies, but I just want to get started doing something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts