My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep my hughes net has gone down several time in the last couple of days. I either have an equipment problem or someone is asleep at the helm.
Thankfully its not the only access to the web.

·
Administrator
5,542 Posts
I had satellite for a couple of years about 12 years ago when I first moved here...It sucked bigtime, may have improved since. Funny thing was, the satellite place is just across the road from us. I mean, their dishes are right there, I could see them from my house if not for the trees. Anyways, the signal still has to go up to the satellite and back for many thousands of miles. Any bad weather and it was out. My sender/receiver thing finally conked out and they wanted me to pay to have it replaced....I replaced them as something better came along around then.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure where Hughes Net sends their signal from but my signal comes from the sattelitte in space. Been that way for 10 or more years now.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Not sure where Hughes Net sends their signal from but my signal comes from the sattelitte in space. Been that way for 10 or more years now.
You somewhat missed poncho62's point. Yes, the signal you get on your dish at home comes from a satellite high above the earth. But it is first transmitted to that satellite from a number of uplink stations here on earth. Last I remember, Hughes Net had some of their uplink stations in California. Weather and other atmospheric conditions will affect the signals, both between the uplink and the satellite and the satellite to you. Wild Blue, if they are still around (?) works the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have to have them check into it tomorrow if it persist. It has been a long time since the dish connections have been looked at. If that is the problem they can check it on their end before sending someone. I have a maintenance agreement.
Was just trying to figure out if this was more than my connection.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It may be something as simple as a corroded connector. Could also be the dish is aimed a bit off, the satellite experienced problems and they switched to another. Get the guys out there.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Yep my hughes net has gone down several time in the last couple of days. I either have an equipment problem or someone is asleep at the helm.
Hughes was one of my few options when I moved to the country for internet. No cable, DSL, or fiber optic out here. I ended up with a Sprint hotspot. It has 100GB of data monthly and costs me $65/mth. Data carries over and I'm usually having 200GB per month.

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
Back when I done satellite service every spring we would have a few customers that had a tree or bush leafing out that had grown into the reception path of the dish. Wouldn't always cause a total lose of signal, just drop the signal level on the the weaker transponders at first. So you might end up missing a few channels at first before everything started to cut out as the wind blew the branches around.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Backup and running again and did nothing but wait. Its got to be on their end some where. With the Sprint - T Mobile merger I may look into a hotspot. I could have done it with T Mobile and had unlimited data for $40/mth. Just did not want to put all the eggs in one basket to say. We have never had both go down at the same time but a few times. We had a DSL line for one year so I could access the company servers at $120 per month it sucked up to many overtime dollars the company would not reimburse. That was before large flash drives and rewrite cd disk. That's been a while. Yes it can suck living in the middle of no where but would not have it any other way.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back when I done satellite service every spring we would have a few customers that had a tree or bush leafing out that had grown into the reception path of the dish. Wouldn't always cause a total lose of signal, just drop the signal level on the the weaker transponders at first. So you might end up missing a few channels at first before everything started to cut out as the wind blew the branches around.
My dish sits on the roof and the closest tree is over 300 feet away of any size and not in the path of the dish. It may not hurt to clean the dish and optical. I know to much snow will knock it out until its cleaned off.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Backup and running again and did nothing but wait. Its got to be on their end some where. With the Sprint - T Mobile merger I may look into a hotspot. I could have done it with T Mobile and had unlimited data for $40/mth. Just did not want to put all the eggs in one basket to say. We have never had both go down at the same time but a few times. We had a DSL line for one year so I could access the company servers at $120 per month it sucked up to many overtime dollars the company would not reimburse. That was before large flash drives and rewrite cd disk. That's been a while. Yes it can suck living in the middle of no where but would not have it any other way.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I waited a long time to switch but my Verizon hotspot was a rip off at 7GB/$75/mth.

My Sprint hotspot is not perfect and takes a little tweaking here and there. I had to find a good spot in the house where it liked to connect and have good speed. Every now and then it'll glitch and nothing will connect to it. I have to restart it or run an "update profile" which will reset it. For the most part it works well. Until you figure out the quirks it can be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We moved out here from the city with a Verizon phone. After 6 month of leaving the house and driving two miles we switched to T-Mobile. Only system that worked here for a long time. Verizon was not happy with the move and really did not want to cut service until I requested they send the little Verizon can you hear me now guy out. The gal on the other end of our then land line wanted to know why. She got the message and agreed to cancel service when I told her I was going to chase him around the house with a ball bat until he got a signal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
With the BONUS of people to WORK FROM HOME, it was estimated to be over 120-million additional folks on the system with heavy business traffic. Sadly, 5G is not the answer because that setup is for short distance high speed. Thus, folks set to 5G will actually suffer. 2.4G is where heavy and distance connections should be used.

So, I really doubt it's your setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had Dish "Satellite" TV once & weather had the most impact. I would assume that since we've all been under rainy & cloudy skies, across the us, It would seem that to be the case here. Otherwise, System bogged down from the work from home folks which is no fault of their own.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
Two days of messing up and losing service. Now all is well again.
Do you mind telling me how much data you get per month and how much it costs? Just curious cuz it seemed high when I checked.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The plan I am on is no longer available. Last time I talked to them less than 30 days ago they wanted me to update to gem5 for the same $48.50 and no contract. I own my own equipment and have a service agreement. I get 10G per day downloads that carry over forever if not used. It servers our purposes.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
The plan I am on is no longer available. Last time I talked to them less than 30 days ago they wanted me to update to gem5 for the same $48.50 and no contract. I own my own equipment and have a service agreement. I get 10G per day downloads that carry over forever if not used. It servers our purposes.
All the latest satelIite internet I looked at was ~$150/mth. You have one heck of a deal there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts