My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos that I took with the family during an afternoon out with the family last fall at Sandstone Falls.

This area is on the New River in southeast West Virginia near the town of Hinton. The leaves were just past peak when these were taken.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Thanks for the great WV pictures. It looks as if there could be trout in the stream and black bear in the woods.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Man I grew up right across the river from WV. I miss those rolling hill lines and the fall foliage.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish that it were a trout stream. The New River does have some world class smallmouth bass fishing though.

I grew up and live about 30 minutes from where these photos were taken. I never get tired of looking around.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll keep posting and I 've got a bunch of other photos from around the state that I'll put up too.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brad. It was a great afternoon. Just a bit on the chilly side, but it made for some great walking weather.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, hello there neighbor. It is such a small world, even on the Internet.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
:congrats: Great pics DJ, been down to that area one time making a trip to Hinton, beautiful in the fall alright :fing32:

:thanku: for sharing with us !.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Yeah,small world but you got a green tractor and I got an orange one,so....just kidding! Boy the tourists were out in force this past weekend,I live up on top of hill,so they can't get to me,wouldn't live any closer to one of them rivers if you gave me the place.:trink40:

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought that we could be good neighbors until I heard about the orange tractor:Disgus:

Seriously though, I've heard and read a lot of great things about the orange ones. Mine could have been orange, just so happened that the used green one at a great price showed up first.

If you think that you have a lot of tourists now, you just wait until the New River Parkway is done in the coming years. :Stop:

Have you heard much about it? It does sound like it will be a nice shot in the arm for the Hinton tourist industry. I have seen the plans and I must say that I really like the looks of it.

·
Banned
330 Posts
They been talking about that for many years,don't know,but you talk about a waste of tax payer dollars if they did,but they don't care,its not their money is it!!??If tourism equaled many more dollars in hinton area pockets,how come it ain't no better off than it ever was? just means more bucks in just a few peoples pockets,you can't support a thriving area on an extra motel/gas station and one fast food place and a whitewater raft place.

Like the coradoor g,[how ever you spell it] up in northeastern part of state,road to no where,they had a piece on tv a few weeks ago on fox news about it.

I remember when they built the new river gourge bridge,another big waste of us tax payer money,they built the bridge than for next 20 years,built the road,[get it,built the bridge before road],this is just 5 years or so after interstate 79 was completed,so the bridge and new rt 19[or is it 119] is just a multi billion dollar senic highway and a 10 min short cut for people going north/south[instead of just staying on 79!! Had to move mountains to finish the road to 79. Only town on it is summersville which than became the eastern us's most famous speed trap cause of new road,only new jobs it created in summersville is a few motel/fast food/gas places.

Bird,best example for term limits ever!

My orange tractor is not the one thats most famous,[but gaining ground every month and might over take kubota in a few years,if the north koreans don't blow the south up that is],its a kioti,bought it down below lewisburg on 219 ,last fall,like it so far.:drunkie:

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to agree with the term limits. Byrd has become an embarrassment after he got up on the Senate floor several years ago and gave that rant on "turn off the boob tube." He needs to retire as he has become too feeble to be effective. He is not even a resident of WV. That should tell the story of how he really feels about the state, but he keeps getting elected due to fear of change.

I don't know much about the Kioti line of tractors, but really, isn't a lot of durability of a machine just simply about how it is treated and maintained? I think any machine will work fine as lot as it isn't abused. I'm not colors and names on tractors; I'm all about how they perform.

There is a place in Union where I like to deal on implements. I can't think of the man's last name to save my life right now, but his first name is Benny and he is located one block behind the Bank of Monroe, in the middle of Union. He is easy to find. Just turn onto the street right beside the bank and he is on the next corner.

I bought a King Kutter 5' finish mower from him about 6 years ago. He told me that it was used less than one season. I looked at the inside of the deck and could tell that he was telling the truth. At the time, they were selling for about $1300 new. He let me have that one for $800. It has performed perfectly since.

HiPocket, no there wasn't a meth lab in the barn. The property is now owned by the National Park Service as part of the New River Gorge National River, but there the house is still on the property. I was told by one of the Park Rangers, that a number of years ago, before the park bought the property, a number of people had taken up residence and were involved with drugs. He told me that the ATF and state police converged on the property and a shoot out ensued. I can't confirm this though.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
HiPocket, no there wasn't a meth lab in the barn. The property is now owned by the National Park Service as part of the New River Gorge National River, but there the house is still on the property. I was told by one of the Park Rangers, that a number of years ago, before the park bought the property, a number of people had taken up residence and were involved with drugs. He told me that the ATF and state police converged on the property and a shoot out ensued. I can't confirm this though.

Darn! We have vacationed in the Hinton area the last several summers. We've had a couple of 'interesting' encounters with locals. Heard tell of drug manufacturing being prevelent in those parts. My wife is not too crazy about the place anymore. Not sure will go back after we use this summers reservation.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well hipocket,it is dangerous around here especially if you get off the beaten tourist path,hillbillys in overalls with shotguns[and they know how to use them],so.....

DJ2,yeah,me and you both,I bought a 5 ft kk from the man in union about 7-8 years ago,also bought a plow,tator plow,pig pole from him,he's still there,talked to him about a month ago,right benny somebody,think he said new kk 5ft were still less than 1,000,that one you bought musta been a heavy duty one or something to be that much than?:trink40:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Beautiful country side. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure, but I really don't think that mine is a heavy model, as in heavy duty. It sure is heavy when I am trying to scoot it around by hand. :biglaugh:

I found this one at Tractor Supply. It appears that King Kutter is building the mowers for the Countyline brand at TSC. Mine is a side discharge rather than a rear.

King Kutter Mower

I also found this one at Agri Supply. I like it better in that it has a chain guard on the rear as opposed to a flap guard.

King Kutter Mower

I don't regret the price that I paid though. I would go back and deal with him again anytime.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts