My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first ever sandblaster from a home depot on sale for $10, now I can start removing paint and rust for my tractor restorations for a lot cheaper than to have someone else do the sandblasting. All I need now is a cheap non-working air compressor that I can fix up! :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
another way to go cheap: use play sand.
I don't want to be your nanny, but that is a bad idea. Even with a great dust mask, you have the danger of silicosis.

Black Beauty (coal slag) is cheap and safe to use. Most real auto or truck parts store carry it. Last time I bought it was around $10 for 100 pounds.

Chris

·
Professional Homeowner
7,649 Posts
I don't want to be your nanny, but that is a bad idea. Even with a great dust mask, you have the danger of silicosis.

Black Beauty (coal slag) is cheap and safe to use. Most real auto or truck parts store carry it. Last time I bought it was around $10 for 100 pounds.

Chris
second. Silica sand is also sharper and cuts better than play sand. Use baking soda for delicate parts, such as fiberglass (old corvette trick). I've also been known to use sand from the dune out back or the sand from the houses across the street from Lake Michigan. It's illegal to remove sand from the beach in containers, after all.

People have signs in their yards, which are all beach sand and sparse beach grass, of course. I've seen signs that say "Free Sand," "Free Sand and Movie," "Freer Sand," and my favorite, "Freest Sand in Town."

·
Registered
380 Posts
I stand corrected. Spending the extra couple of bucks is worth it. I didn't know about playsand's harmfull side effects. I've used it a bit and always outside. Next time I sandblast I'll get the better stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol, I live right on the other side of lake michigan and i was planning on getting some sand from there, but now that i know theres a cheap, legal, and safe alternative (thank you *Chris* and steddy) Ill go that route. But does the Black Beauty work just as well on removing rust and paint?

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
Also playsand tends to be wet a lot of times... Wet sand+blasting=No fun!!

If you are compressure shopping, you need to know that a blaster takes a LOT of air!!!!! I dont know what kinda power supply you have, but a 5hp, 60gal compressure in a min IMHO.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
Dont expect that thing to work to great--I have one,and I'm less than impressed with it,,glad I spent 10 bucks for it like you,otherwise I'd have really been ticked at myself..its works good for cleaning a spark plug or tiny spots,but I have yet to get it to work continuously for more than a two or three second burst of sand,even with a decent compressor..I borrow my friends pressure fed blaster when I have something to sandblast..siphon feed ones suck in my opinion..I have a hard enough time getting a pressure fed one to work good..ALL seem to clog easily,even with dry sand I sift first to get pebbles and forigen matter out of..

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have a small compressor, 16allon I think, horizontal Campbell Hausfeld belt drive and a harbour-freight type spot blaster. My compressor will handle that, but certainly not any kind of real blaster.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
do a search on sandblasters for thr fourm , I posted a pic of the ones I build and they work great never a problem and they are pressure blasters. I recommend stripping paint before blasting the paint acts like a mask and you will get uneven metal in spots.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
mikeemc, I searched for postings under your name with "sandblaster" in them and only found this thread. Can you find the thread you're referring to and post a link to it here? I'm curious about your design. Thanks.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,649 Posts
Dont expect that thing to work to great--I have one,and I'm less than impressed with it,,glad I spent 10 bucks for it like you,otherwise I'd have really been ticked at myself..its works good for cleaning a spark plug or tiny spots,but I have yet to get it to work continuously for more than a two or three second burst of sand,even with a decent compressor..I borrow my friends pressure fed blaster when I have something to sandblast..siphon feed ones suck in my opinion..I have a hard enough time getting a pressure fed one to work good..ALL seem to clog easily,even with dry sand I sift first to get pebbles and forigen matter out of..
I had the same problem with my el cheapo one a few years ago. Turns out, when I switched the nozzle, I had it either too far forward or back. Don't recall which. My buddy looked at it, rolled his eyes, adjusted it, haven't had a problem since.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts