My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
forkz
01 chevy silverado1500
7,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have patches of them n my lawn they gotta go i like to walk barefoot sometimes they r bad when its dry it has been we got about 4 maby 5 inches rain mon b tues i haerd weed b gone will get them but leave bare spots i guess i can live with the bare spots to get rid of them they will fill n wayne

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One thing on those sand burs . . . You have to kill the plant before it goes to seed. If it goes to seed it will be back the next year. You have to get those seeds. I had 3/4 of and acre of those things. The only way I rid them out of my yard . . . I picked them! Got a plastic bucket down on my hands and knees. Put them in the dumpster. Those are one of the hardest things to rid of a yard.:goodl:

Took me 3 years . . .

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
we have 3 cornered sand burs. i dont know if they are the same thing or not. 25 years and they are still hiding, waiting, to wound a passerby. and pop tires!

·
Dabbler
6 Posts
Here in Florida it is a recurring battle. I have picked billions of them before they go to seed and still find them cropping their ugly little heads. I have dragged my yard with an old poly blanket behind my little JD, which collects a boat (or blanket) load. I have found that burning the blanket disposes of the seed pods.

My Father always said to use Dolomite to sweeten the soil PH as a natural solution since the spurs like acidic soil. Around here it is the common method.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Sounds like a good pre emergent such as Prodamine (Barricade) would do the trick. Stop em from germinating along with crabgrass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.