My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love old music(wish I had grown up in that era), I am always on youtube browsing old clips. I recently discovered this clip on youtube. I have to say this is one of the most amazing live performances I have ever seen. The drum solo starting at 3:08 is beyond words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hated it then and I hate it now. I never did drugs and never will. The ony way you can call that music is if you are stoned out of your mind. Some of my friends went to Woodstock. They came back and we never saw each other after that. There is so much more to life. All my friends are attornies, engineers, doctors, professors and professionals. I want to sit down with friends and have an intelectual conversation. After 10 minuets of that music I am not sure I would have a mind left. Only about 10 percent of anything is good. It does not matter if it is music, art, architecture, engineering or anything else. People go through the motion but the good stands out like a sore thumb. I still call crap crap. I have some very good doctors the stay on top of everything and I have some that go through the motion and send you for test and do not listen too my problem. I go to a different doctor that listens. People will follow any thing that sounds good and walk off a cliff with the leader. As for me if everone is doing it or likes it I take a second look and laugh. Even most of the religous music is not very good. Some of it is fantastic but some of it you can not tell it from everyday music. What is the point of being different and religious if you are going to be worldly. Not pointing fingers, Just room for thought. For me I do not want to live in a limited world with mucic that is depressing, let a lone the noise. There is too much to enjoy in life. The birds in my garden make better music. My wife made me think a while back. She siad country music is depressing. All they do is sing about thier problems. She is right. Some of the music is fantastic. The arangements and the playing are over the top. The words are a downer. Why take yourself down. Why not lift yourself up? Going over the bad never made anything better in my world. Don't get me started. I have not begun to tell you what I think of the music.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You paint assumptions with quite the wide brush. I have never done a drug and never will and I love older rock. And I really don't follow the whole other tanget you went off on, ok you don't like music. This isn't the thread for you obviously.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That's a good jam. I remember it when it was new.

Little known fact that a lot of the hippies were not drunks or druggies. That was really the media depiction. Just ask my 57 y/o bro who lives in an off-the-grid cabin in the hills of western Mass. 6 figure work from home IT guy who doesn't know the 60s are over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought the drumer for "Santana" was the best I had ever seen. Nothing since has changed my mind.

Anybody know who he was, or what happened to him?

Thanks for the video.

Tom

·
Registered
8,508 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the drumer for "Santana" was the best I had ever seen. Nothing since has changed my mind.

Anybody know who he was, or what happened to him?

Thanks for the video.

Tom
Michael Shrieve is best-known as the drummer in an early lineup of Carlos Santana's band, Santana, and for his performance at the 1969 Woodstock festival, when he was just 20 years old (he turned 20 on July 6 of that year; he was the youngest musician to perform at the festival). He left the original Santana band to pursue solo projects. One little-known but worthy effort was his drumming in the 1976 release of Automatic Man, with guitarist Pat Thrall.

He also played in the band Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve (with Sammy Hagar, Neal Schon, and Kenny Aaronson).

In addition, he played drums on (former Supertramp member) Roger Hodgson's first solo album, In the Eye of the Storm.

From 1979 to 1984, he collaborated as a percussionist in Richard Wahnfried, a side project of Klaus Schulze (another drummer turned electronic composer) while recording with Schulze his own first "solo" album of electronic music, Transfer Station Blue, in 1984.

He has also collaborated with David Beal, Andy Summers, Steve Roach, Stomu Yamashta, Jonas Hellborg, Buckethead, Douglas September, and others.

In 1998 Shrieve was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for his work with Santana.

In 2001, he appeared on the Revolution Void album Increase the Dosage.

He currently lives in Seattle, Washington, and plays in his fusion jazz group, Spellbinder, at TōST in Fremont, Seattle, with Danny Godinez, Joe Doria, John Fricke, and Farko Dosumov.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Shrieve

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I hated it then and I hate it now. I never did drugs and never will. The ony way you can call that music is if you are stoned out of your mind. Some of my friends went to Woodstock. They came back and we never saw each other after that. There is so much more to life. All my friends are attornies, engineers, doctors, professors and professionals. I want to sit down with friends and have an intelectual conversation. After 10 minuets of that music I am not sure I would have a mind left. Only about 10 percent of anything is good. It does not matter if it is music, art, architecture, engineering or anything else. People go through the motion but the good stands out like a sore thumb. I still call crap crap. I have some very good doctors the stay on top of everything and I have some that go through the motion and send you for test and do not listen too my problem. I go to a different doctor that listens. People will follow any thing that sounds good and walk off a cliff with the leader. As for me if everone is doing it or likes it I take a second look and laugh. Even most of the religous music is not very good. Some of it is fantastic but some of it you can not tell it from everyday music. What is the point of being different and religious if you are going to be worldly. Not pointing fingers, Just room for thought. For me I do not want to live in a limited world with mucic that is depressing, let a lone the noise. There is too much to enjoy in life. The birds in my garden make better music. My wife made me think a while back. She siad country music is depressing. All they do is sing about thier problems. She is right. Some of the music is fantastic. The arangements and the playing are over the top. The words are a downer. Why take yourself down. Why not lift yourself up? Going over the bad never made anything better in my world. Don't get me started. I have not begun to tell you what I think of the music.
WTH ??? Dude .. Lighten up :thanku: Just because someone likes that type of music .. they do drugs ?? Get a clue ... PLEASE

·
Registered
65 Posts
McLovin: Thanks for the information and the research. Looks like I have some CD's to order.:fing32:

Gonna pick up some ELP stuff while I'm there, too.:trink39:

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
loved it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts