My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an atv mechanic but have been stuck on this gravely...it actually had me up lastnight...the switch keeps burning out that engages the blades..what's the best way to run a jumper so I can etermine if its a bad clutch....I checked for continuity at the switch and it seems to be working........thanks.....I am a toal newbe at this forum stuff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....I just started working on it a min ago.....I ran 12 volts to the pto and it barely hums....I guessing its bad

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Sam, nice to have you here with us, sorry to hear of the issues with your tractor. Moved this into the gravely forum, so perhaps some of the guys familiar with your machine might offer some advice. You should probably mention what model gravely you are working on :).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Best thing to do is put an ammeter in series with the switch see what your current draw is Don't know what the actual draw is but the amperage of the switch is probably stamped on the bottom of the switch

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
What's the switch rated for? What model are you working on? Putting a fuse inline, maybe 20 amp, might make diagnosing it easier & cheaper than toasting switches.
The last electromagnetic clutch failure I ran ran up against was auto A/C, not mower but it had worn to the point of shorting out the coil when it engaged.
I guess if it were me, I'd check impedance to ground & then manually try to engage & turn the clutch to see if it shorted to ground when contacting the coil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts