My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
John Deere X595 with 45 loader, 445, 430, 330, and too many more
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have had my X595 (with 45 loader) shimmed to about 1250 PSI for a while. I took it apart to play with the shims in an effort to get it to 1500 psi. I was able to, but I'm wondering what's the safe absolute maximum. With one combination I saw 2500 psi on my gauge. I assume that's not good for things like the steering cylinder and rockshaft cylinder, so I lowered it some. What's the max to safely go to? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
what's the safe absolute maximum.
Depends on your definition of safe.

How did you see 2500 on the gauge? That seems well above safe.

What was the pressure at idle and max RPM before shimming?

What was the pressure at idle and max RPM after shimming?

How much (mm) of shims did you add?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on your definition of safe.

How did you see 2500 on the gauge? That seems well above safe.

What was the pressure at idle and max RPM before shimming?

What was the pressure at idle and max RPM after shimming?

How much (mm) of shims did you add?
I saw 2500 by putting in too many shims. Or at least what I assume is too many. How I left it I have about 1000 at idle and 1450 at full throttle. I don’t know the exact millimeter value, I’m just using small stainless washers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a micrometer you can measure the washers thickness so you'll know.
I do have one, and I can do that, but it hardly seems necessary. I'm trying to figure out if I'll break something by increasing the pressure over 1500 psi, not whether or not I've increased it. I have a gauge. (y)

I'd probably be safest sticking with the tested maximum of around 1,450.

·
Super Moderator
14,123 Posts
Based on my experience I would not recommend going over 1500 psi. 1500 is the max from Tuff Torque but also the frame of the machine doesn’t need to be over 1500. You can get in plenty of stability trouble with full ballast and 1500 psi.

Reactions: LukeL

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Does the charge pump system run at relief pressure all the time
General answer is no. You can hear the difference when you keep pressing on one of the implement valves. When you do that, the charge pump is going to continue trying to move 8cc of fluid for every revolution. Since hydraulic fluid is basically not compressible, the pressure increases. When it gets high enough, the IRV let's some escape. That is what makes the noise.

You are of course free to set the pressure as high as you want. It will work till it doesn't. If you never dead head the valve and never overload the loader, it won't be an issue. But, there is a limit to how much high pressure things can take before they break. Anything you break on the tractor is probably repairable or replaceable. If you break anything on yourself when something on the tractor blows out, it might be harder to find OEM equivalent parts and the repairs might be harder and more expensive. I have never heard of anyone who has gone as high as have and come back to say it was a good idea. How much extra lift are you going to get (with an extra 100-200psi) and do you really need it. Going up from 900-950 (stock) to 1350 seems reasonable. I believe I will need about 1.2mm to do that (4 x 0.3mm). That is about a 50% increase in pressure, but likely less than that in lift capacity. The extra 10% doesn't seem worth it to me. Going even higher seems like much more likely to cause an issue, eventually.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
How much extra lift are you going to get (with an extra 100-200psi) and do you really need it. Going up from 900-950 (stock) to 1350 seems reasonable. I believe I will need about 1.2mm to do that (4 x 0.3mm). That is about a 50% increase in pressure, but likely less than that in lift capacity. The extra 10% doesn't seem worth it to me. Going even higher seems like much more likely to cause an issue, eventually.
It takes a certain amount of pressure to raise the bucket. Anything above that pressure is applied directly to payload capacity, less the effects of geometry and leverage, of course. Adding 50% to the relief pressure will possibly add more than 50% to the lift capacity. If you have to ask if the extra lifting capacity is really needed, it's because you've never pulled fence posts with a ball of concrete on the end. Believe me, it's needed, along with a couple of other tricks to further increase payload capability without adding strain to the pump.

SCUT loaders use the same size cylinders but with a 2000 psi relief valve. If the arms of the GT loader are the same length as the arms of a SCUT loader, the lift capability of the GT at 1500 psi (max) will be something considerably less than the lift capability of the SCUT. Most SCUT loaders can barely lift 1100 lb off of the ground to transport height.

This is an excellent thread for ballasting a loader. Weights were measured at a truck weigh scale and are tabulated in Post #10.

Note that many of the older GT loaders used 2" diameter cylinders rather than the 1.5" diameter cylinders on more recently made loaders. A 1500 psi relief setting will easily lift the rear wheels off of the ground with a ballast load of 650 lb. Payload capability for those GT loaders with that high of a relief setting is well over 1250 lb. It just takes more ballast to be able to transport it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I use this loader to load logs on a small sawmill (yes I know it’s not a big enough tractor for that) and wanted to see how much I could get out of it without breaking anything. I don’t want to “use it till it breaks.” I want it to last as long as possible. I’ll leave it at 1425-1450 and see how it does. Eventually a good deal on a CUT with a loader will come up near me. Even an old 955 with a loader is bringing $1,6000!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,401 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind besides the transmission pressure rating, is the axle load ratings. Fully ballasted with FEL, bucket load, and operator, is already getting close to the max load rating. Add a cab and you are pretty much at it or beyond. Additional lift capacity via shimming could get beyond axle capacity in certain scenarios.

More of a long-term wear and tear concern than a catastrophic failure concern, but something to consider nonetheless.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing to keep in mind besides the transmission pressure rating, is the axle load ratings. Fully ballasted with FEL, bucket load, and operator, is already getting close to the max load rating. Add a cab and you are pretty much at it or beyond. Additional lift capacity via shimming could get beyond axle capacity in certain scenarios.

More of a long-term wear and tear concern than a catastrophic failure concern, but something to consider nonetheless.
For sure. I do have a cab, albeit a very lightweight one. The front axle is definitely one of my main concerns, even with proper ballast. (50lb wheel weights, loaded tires, and 4, soon to be 8 suitcase weights on a heavy hitch.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a thread with a member doing something similar: Loader Options for X585

I think he has his pressure set at about 3,000 psi and has for years i set mine at about 1,400 - 1,450!
I know. And his posts are the reason for me asking this question in the first place. I was hoping he would chime in and tell me how safe it is for the pump, steering, and rockshaft cylinder. @whx595

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Well they are still posting on the site as of this week, so maybe they will chime in. I believe that is higher than I would go, but I doubt they have had an issue yet. So, it looks like it can be done.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know. And his posts are the reason for me asking this question in the first place. I was hoping he would chime in and tell me how safe it is for the pump, steering, and rockshaft cylinder. @whx595
I think he's replied several times saying he's never had an issue - in fact i think that's in that specific thread.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I know it would be really easy to get it to 2500. Just not sure if I should.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,401 Posts
For sure. I do have a cab, albeit a very lightweight one. The front axle is definitely one of my main concerns, even with proper ballast. (50lb wheel weights, loaded tires, and 4, soon to be 8 suitcase weights on a heavy hitch.)
Even @1500psi, you will want quite a bit more rear ballast than that. I am not loading my tires, but I have wheel weights and 11 suitcase weights. I’m still hunting for more suitcase weights!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts