My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance TODAY to get a Sears 14 H.P. garden tractor and I believe it is somewhere in late 70's vintage. Comes with a single bottom plow, cultivators and a set of discs. No mower deck but I didn't want a deck for it anyway. Man says it has seen very little use and in fact by the pics he sent me, it looks to be almost new condition. Says it runs very well and he also has all the manuals to go with it..............$400.00. Don't ask me too many questions about it because this is all the info I have. I can tell you the paint colors are gold/white and it has five horizontal vents cut in the hood. I don't know much about vintage stuff except I like it a whole lot better than the new, stamped out stuff I see now. I have some questions though. This is probably going to be a Tecumseh motor? Can I get a sickle bar mower and a snow blower for it? Also, I'm sure if I plow with it I'll probably need ag tires and wheel weights too, right? This also seems to be a pretty dang good price too, isn't it?
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
310 Posts
when i plow i use tire chains and wheel weights, they seem to grip better than ag-tires. just my 2-cents. otherwise it seems like a good deal i would jump on it.

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to get a photo here but I'm not the best on computers.....Hang on for a few minutes.
Joe

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
about a 1977 14/6

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you give me any more info? Is it worth $400.00? What type motor? Parts/attachments easy to come by? Any more info would be very helpful.
Thanks
Joe

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
should be a 14hp tecumseh, good, strong engine. if it comes with the hitch and the 3 implements in the picture, its definitely worth the $400. parts arent too hard to come by, and theres really not much that goes wrong on these tractors. sears attachments are specific to sears, so they can be hard to come by at times, but they usually come around in bunches

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
They also have a good strong high/low trans. It sold for 1449.00 new with out the attachments. Like Hugh said it is a Tecumseh cast iron OHV engine. All a round tough tractor. If it runs good 400 is a great price for whats there.

As you can see it was used to plow, with the tires that are on it. I'd try out before I bought new tires. You find they work ok.

Check this out.

http://vintagesearsgardentractors.com/1977_tractors.html

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciate all the input fellas. You always seem to come through when asked. If the guy calls me back I believe I'll pull the trigger on it. It has the attachments I've been looking for.
Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
I saw that...I was going to stop and look at it on the way home tonight.....but I just have to many other things waiting .....sure is hard to pass that one up.......

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Jerry,
Guy just called back. Catch up with ya later. I'm going after it right now.
Joe

·
Registered
409 Posts
sooo...any news?? how is it?

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought it. It seems to be in pretty good condition and yes, it came with all the stuff shown in the pic. I got the tractor, single shovel plow, cultivators with a BUNCH of different types and a furrower. He had the tractor manual and dang if he didn't come draggin' a real nice set of chains out of his garage! Engine sounds real good and no smoke. It does have the 3 speed trans w/ hi-lo. Sheet metal all there and straight. Could use a facelift on the paint but hey, I ain't so good lookin' anymore my own self. It has a "power lift" feature that gets power back through the harness but there is no "lift motor" or whatever goes back there. Only thing I'd maybe like to have additional for it would be a dozer blade and a SET OF WHEEL WEIGHTS. (Anybody got a line on a good set?)
Down side to all of this that I am almost sure I'm gonna have to part company with my beloved old W.H. Commando 8 that has been with me for years and years. That little tractor is by far the best peice of equipment I have ever owned and I've had some nice stuff in my time.
Want pics??

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
:wwp: !!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts