My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
Any advise would be appreciated.
cleaning out my father shed I now have a 1945 gravely in very rough shape.
3 attachments sickle , mower, and I think a tiller.
the an attachable seat.

should i sell and where
how bad would it be to fixup? i dont do alot of mechanic stuff but its cool looking

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Welcome tippet!

Define "very rough shape". A lot of old machines look like **** but are perfectly good runners.

Whether you should repair or sell is up to you. If you like playing with old iron for not much money, it's hard to beat the L models. But they do take tinkering.

Please post some pix so we can evaluate what you've got.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
Welcome! FWIW, a running tractor is always worth more than a non-running one, whether you wind up keeping, or selling it. The first thing I would do would be to turn the engine by hand. If it turns, remove the spark plug, place your thumb against the spark plug hole, an turn the engine again. You should feel air slightly pushing out, and suction back inward as you turn it a few revolutions. If you do, then you will know that it has at least some compression.

From this point it would be time to check, clean, and adjust the points, clean the carburetor, gas tank, filter (if it's the glass type, replace if it's the newer replaceable clear plastic type), spray a little carburetor cleaner into the carb. throat, and give a good few pulls with the strap. There should be and arrow cast into the face of the pulley showing the directional rotation of the engine ( so you don't try starting it backwards).

A few pics would help. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for the replies, my father put it away and it was running then , about 20 years ago.
no gas in the tank. i think the wheel doesn't spin to start it. I didn't try to hard.
it was kept inside all the time but its still cover in dirt.
will send pics.
thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
11,566 Posts
If it ran when your father parked it there's a very good chance it will run now after some prep work as I mentioned above. It takes some effort to turn these engines, especially if they are in their compression cycle. Facing the engine from the rear of the tractor, it turns clockwise.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
It all sounds like good advice. Might take plug out and get a socket and ratchet ( 1/2 drive preferably ) on the nut in center of bottom pulley where belt goes around and give it a cpl cranks and see if it turns that way. Meaning just " turn it" as opposed to "cranking it" because your'e just trying to see if its locked up for starters.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all sounds like good advice. Might take plug out and get a socket and ratchet ( 1/2 drive preferably ) on the nut in center of bottom pulley where belt goes around and give it a cpl cranks and see if it turns that way. Meaning just " turn it" as opposed to "cranking it" because your'e just trying to see if its locked up for starters.
Good luck
and if its locked up?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
If it's locked up, it's probably sellable only for parts.

But that machine looks way too good to have a seized engine. I have solid runners which look rather worse :)

Are you sure that's a '45? It looks mid to late 60's, to me. The hood, the fan shroud, and the air cleaner are all appropriate for a newer model. Though granted, it could be a mongrel. It has the slanted plug, so not too late.

I'd take off the wound-the-wrong-way starter strap, and just try turning the big pulley with your hand. If it turns, great. If it turns for while and then you hit a compression stroke, which is really hard to turn it past, better. If at the top of that compression stroke you hear a snap from the mag, better still.

Also, please take a pic of the data plate (on top of the tank) and post it. That'll might give us better info. Though if the machine is a mongrel, that could have been swapped along with the fan shroud . . .

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
L- 2M6257
g- 13291
Would it be okay to add kroil to either the spark plugs or the starter pull wheel?
thanks
2M6257 makes it a '64. That looks right.

Not sure what you mean about adding kroil. It won't hurt to clean the plug with it, you can use just about anything for that. Are you looking to lubricate the pulley? It's attached to the crank, internally lubricated. If it won't turn, it's unlikely putting anything like that on the outside will free it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the information. I was able to turn pulley with a ratchet.
still on the fence about keeping /restoring.

·
Registered
642 Posts
thanks for all the information. I was able to turn pulley with a ratchet.
still on the fence about keeping /restoring.
I don't know where you live, but the guy in this thread below is looking for one.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
If it turns you could be in binnus. But likejrd said about the year/decade Im a novice but it does look very much like my 66 model. I'll drop a few pics for ya. But if you need a hobby give her some TLC and you can really have something....if you like them like I do and always have.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I didnt mean to post the pics with the cardboard covering it but these things are hard to see but you can tell it looks a lot like youre's thats why I for one think its prolly made sometime in the 60's.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Heres some better ones of two 60's madels. The better looking one is a 66 but aint sure what the other one is exactly cause I just got it recently. I grabbed it in a hurry on my way to work and then noticed I might wanna use it for a parts tractor because the L's are what I like.
I have another parts tractor and without it I would have been in a real jam because I needed a major component from it and many smaller ones.
Gotta have one of them IMHO.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Below are ones of the one I recently bought, and the nice looking one looked about like it when I got it.
A lot of folks dont care if they look good but I do , and I know its more important to have them running good but I dont see why both cant be accomplished.
It was the first one I ever did but I got it for my son and he wont be seen using it if it dont look good its just how he is and I cant wait till he gets out of that but he's 36 so he may not but the mistake I made was strip, paint, replace small parts to look good and if you look hard you can see them before getting it running.
I know it ran when I got it but I took it apart so much by the time I got it back together it needs some fine tuning, but it does start and run and sounds good but Ive injured myself to where I cant pull-start it right now.
But all will work out.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts