My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this Sabre had water in the oil,and oil floated into the carb,cylinder,etc...got most of it out and got her running,but now its smoking pretty bad...
will it clear up on its own?

SANY0050.jpg

SANY0010.jpg

will this hurt the motor? if i run it for awhile,will it clear up? or is there maybe some other cause? the smoke is worse than it looks in the pics,and coming out the exhaust...there is also some surging, or skipping, at times

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
well...I would run it on new oil for no longer than a couple minutes.....then drain that oil....should look milky....rom the water....then when draining this time....put blocks under tires to make mower slanted so the drain outlet spot is the lowest part of the engine....wait till it even stops drippin all the oil.....& refill with new again....this will help remove any water that has stayed in engine... durin first replacement ... the engine may take a good spell to settle down from smokin....etc....

if u had enuf water in crankcase to make oil get into carb.....that's a lotta water......find out how it all got in there.....
leavin a mower outside is bad to do.....try puttin it under a cover or a tarp even....

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
safe to rinse it with kerosene,or something else,after draining?..to try and get all of it...

i did run it a bit too long today and i guess the water turned to steam and blew woter and oil all over

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sure, kerosene can be used as a flush. I wouldn't run the engine on it, but I see no problem cranking it over a little to swish it around. You could also use Marvel Mystery Oil. You can run that 100% and run the engine for a short time on it. That might actually be the best recommendation over Kero.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine did the same thing...smoking like crazy! Found out it was just a blown head gasket. Bought one for $8.00 & fixed it myself. Those B&S engines are famous for this problem.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i read that somewhere else also...money has been tight,as i am trying to buy a house soon,so i havent done much with it...i did top off the oil with engine flush i had in the garage,ran it , drained it , then filled with straight kerosene,ran it and drained it...now i cant find the new filter i had,so it sits till i get a new one...

how hard is it to change a head gasket on these? i havent really been very deep into a small engine,so i really dont know where anything is...ive done a lot of work on cars and trucks,out of necessity,but have always been lucky with small engines not needing extensive repair

i gotta go to plattsburgh today to get some ***** smokes,maybe i can get oil and filter while im up that way...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts