My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a JD S82 rear engine mower with bagger that got traded into our shop, Transmission works fine in all forward gears, but has no reverse. Whats simpler, replace the little peerless/tecmuseh gear box from a junker or tear the box open? I am suspecting a broken shifter fork for the reverse gear. Mower is perfect otherwise, almost looks new and even has factory hubcaps. Thanks Mike

·
Super Moderator
32,620 Posts
cadetpwr, never spent anytime on the RER models but here is the diagram of the tranny. You should get an idea of the difficulty involved. Someone with some more expertise on these should be along in a while to help you further.

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what it feels like, the shifter fork isnt shoving the reverse gear into mesh with anything, the lever just moves to that position and you feel "nothing" as far as resistance or otherwise. All 5 forward gears work find and the gear box is quiet running. With a few small touchups, the mower looks show room new, has the bagger with front ballest weight, rear tires match and have JD hub caps, the baby fronts have plain chrome hub caps but missmatched tires. I need to find another baby goodyear softtrac to match the others. Mows like a dream. While I love larger tractors like us all, even a 110sf cant fit among the landscaping in our front yard. This little one is perfect and will take care of the mass amounts of leaves soon to fall from our silver maples. I got it for $250. We have a 110sf, 10hp kohler with a quiet running 38" mower and almost new snow thrower that I am also wanting to get. I put a bunch of my stuff on CL to clear out the garage and generate funds. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think I would crack it open and fix it then you know what you have. if cost gets in the way go for a used one I know of two guys in youre area that are into some of the older deers and used parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts