My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you choose to go with an E180 or any Exxx, I would pay the extra $$ for the adapter kit to use regular oil filters and change all the oil each time.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the quick change system has been proven unreliable. It’s certainly not much more than a filter and oil from JD -and much more convenient, especially for people who aren’t generally DIY’ers. Further, the quick change isn’t on every E-Series.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the quick change system has been proven unreliable. It’s certainly not much more than a filter and oil from JD -and much more convenient, especially for people who aren’t generally DIY’ers. Further, the quick change isn’t on every E-Series.
I would think JD tested the quick change system enough to prove itself capable. Certainly is better than no oil change and no oil change gets 100% of the old oil out, so it's really a matter of degrees.

If OP is looking at the cyclone rake, what's the difference between the s240 and x350 transmission wise? Is there a meaningful difference between the transmissions?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I’d stay with the Kawasaki engine. That eliminates the E180. Power steering is nice, but not necessary. I’d give up some newness and look at a LX2xx or a GT2xx.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would think JD tested the quick change system enough to prove itself capable. Certainly is better than no oil change and no oil change gets 100% of the old oil out, so it's really a matter of degrees.
I agree. Logic and preconceived notions are two different things, but many people have difficulty separating the two.

If OP is looking at the cyclone rake, what's the difference between the s240 and x350 transmission wise? Is there a meaningful difference between the transmissions?
Mentioning the difference in those transmissions brings up another point - not all K46 (or whatever the taboo transaxle is) are the same. The one in an E-series isn’t the same that’s in a S-series, which isn’t the same in the X300’s. It’s just like K71A, K71B, K71C... We should keep this in mind before discrediting everything that doesn’t start with X7..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, the much maligned K46 has MANY variations, which dramatically influence the failure rate. I believe Deere did request "cost-reduced" versions for the 100 series that are so different they gave it a new model number.

I have a spare K46 in the basement because I got so worried after reading this site back when people started the K66 swapping (and I couldn't find a reasonably priced one). The original K46 is working fine still.

·
Registered
459 Posts
S240 is great for a lawn tractor - it has a purpose. For light duty (and younger/first time buyers) then hydraulics aren’t really necessary. It’s also a significant price jump from the lawn mowers to a X500.

Not everyone can just go get “the best” right away, especially people who may be starting a family, are only maybe a decade into their career, still paying student loans, etc. Not everyone is a retiree with free time and free money.

That would be where you and I disagree, and please, I'm 68 and don't need someone to explain the facts of life to me. I have tools given to me by my father, tools I purchased over 55 years ago, and owned a GT18 for 37 years before giving it to a friend who is using it to this day. I couldn't really afford that GT18 at the time, and bought it with electric assist for all attachments, sleeve hitch, York rake, plow, rear blade, and deck. It was almost $2000 at the time and I was making $4.80 per hour at the time along with working a 2nd job in a gas station. But I knew what I need to do with the machine, including clear some land and back fill a foundation.

Everything I did with that GT18 saved me money, which helped my family, which added value to my home and made my life easier. That old Sears GT18 owed me nothing in the end, but it seldom broke down even after being beat to **** all those years.

I have followed a simple philosophy in my life, and that philosophy states buy the best tools you can afford at the time and always plan to be doing more with those tools than you ever intended.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That would be where you and I disagree, and please, I'm 68 and don't need someone to explain the facts of life to me. I have tools given to me by my father, tools I purchased over 55 years ago, and owned a GT18 for 37 years before giving it to a friend who is using it to this day. I couldn't really afford that GT18 at the time, and bought it with electric assist for all attachments, sleeve hitch, York rake, plow, rear blade, and deck. It was almost $2000 at the time and I was making $4.80 per hour at the time along with working a 2nd job in a gas station. But I knew what I need to do with the machine, including clear some land and back fill a foundation.

Everything I did with that GT18 saved me money, which helped my family, which added value to my home and made my life easier. That old Sears GT18 owed me nothing in the end, but it seldom broke down even after being beat to **** all those years.

I have followed a simple philosophy in my life, and that philosophy states buy the best tools you can afford at the time and always plan to be doing more with those tools than you ever intended.
I’m 36 and would rather buy what I can at the moment knowing my earning potential will allow me to discard whatever I settled with for now and buy something better when I’m old and the kids are gone. There’s no shame in people buying what they feel works for them within their means. I’d also rather spend more time with my young family than be working two jobs to buy a better tractor, lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah, the much maligned K46 has MANY variations, which dramatically influence the failure rate. I believe Deere did request "cost-reduced" versions for the 100 series that are so different they gave it a new model number.

I have a spare K46 in the basement because I got so worried after reading this site back when people started the K66 swapping (and I couldn't find a reasonably priced one). The original K46 is working fine still.
The venerable K46 is the single most popular transmission/axle in the world. It is the letter following the K46 designation that determines options, however, all K46 trans-axles are the same until an option is added. The biggest faults of the K46 are that replacing fluid is a major task (depending on option), and the fact that the gears are MOLDED POWDER METAL, not hardened steel as is found in every Kanzaki transmission model AFTER the K46. "Beveled automotive type gears" does not state material type any more than "Les Paul style guitar" indicates the guitar is manufactured by Gibson.

So here is a link to the Japanese Kanzaki site. Have fun;

Transaxle|Products|Kanzaki Kokyukoki Mfg. Co., Ltd.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I’m 36 and would rather buy what I can at the moment knowing my earning potential will allow me to discard whatever I settled with for now and buy something better when I’m old and the kids are gone. There’s no shame in people buying what they feel works for them within their means. I’d also rather spend more time with my young family than be working two jobs to buy a better tractor, lol
I agree, working two (2) jobs to buy a tractor would be an extreme I don't suggest. However, working two (2) jobs to put food on the table, buy a house and care for my young family at the time. Life is very expensive in MA and moving home after 8 years in the military came as quite a shock to the wallet. So when a close family friend who was dying in a hospital asked me to take over his 100 year old home for $25K I took the chance. Unfortunately no one would give me a loan at the time due to the condition of the house. So I added city sewage, new plumbing, new heating, new electrical and was given the loan. There were still entire sections of the house that need to be replaced and torn down. That resulted in foundations, new structure, etc. and that old GT18 was there to share the burden every step of the way. Eventually my pay increased, just like everyone's pay will increase if you work hard.

So the payoff for working two (2) jobs? A wonderful family, a great high paying job, a $25K house appraised last week for just under $600,000, retirement is a reality, an X738, and all the quality tools I'll need until I die, which will then be passed on to my family. To me that's what life's all about. Busting your *** in the beginning so you can give back to your family until the day comes that you can't. Do it now kid, because when your my age it's too late. Good luck and god bless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't pick either of those models. I'd look for a couple year old X5XX tractor for a better machine. Let someone else pay the depreciation. I have dealt with large quantities of leaves, so yes a mounted bagger works but they clog easily, have limited capacity, and require more demanding labor to empty them. Really the sweet spot is some kind of towed/semi mounted leaf vac. Just the volume decrease alone is worth if nothing else. As others have stated you can spend much more time covering area rather than driving back and forth to your dump area/s. Something else is I have mowed large areas with a 42" deck and for 1.2ac barring tight spaces I'd go up to a 54" deck. The time savings is worth it. Something else is if you can demo some machines go ahead and do it. Drive them and see how they ride and feel to drive. Your going to spend lots of hours on that mower.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am guessing here, but we have probably lost the OP. Too many different opinions, each based on personal experience that might or might not be relevant to the OP.

Buying used can certainly save dollars, but probably takes time, unless you live in Deere country where employees replace their machines every year or two. With a new house, I would bet that both time and money are in short supply. I remember that feeling well. After a decade and half, I have a little more of both. I still balk at the price of new, but the price many people expect for their used machines makes me think new isn't quite so unreasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Yes, we went off track. There is a thread about being disappointed in the S240 That is not to old, might be a good source.

·
X370 Fan
41 Posts
I have the X370 and the best way to do leaves for me is to sweep them with a lawn sweeper when they are thick, dump them into a pile, and afterwards, use a cheapo leaf blower/vac to mulch them into bags for collection. When there aren't many leaves, I just let the mower blow them away while I cut the grass. Works really well for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2+ acre yard is handled nicely with my Husqvarna P-ZT 48 with engine type FX691V (22HP). Big motor and undersized deck works best long term for my yard grooming. I have several old oaks and I like two cuttings that mulch trimmings and leaves and one cutting followed with a DT brand yard vacuum. With strick adherence to alternating the direction of the striping results with most folks calling my yard well groomed. It took years to figure out how to get the look I wanted from my yard.

·
Shed Dweller
178 Posts
I bought an S240 with a 42" deck last Spring because of the Kawasaki engine and the price and am very happy with it. My yard is surrounded on 3 sides by woods so there are a ton of leaves in the Fall including a lot of Oak. I blow most of the leaves back into the woods and then use the S240 with a bagger to collect and mulch what the blower left behind. I've had no problem so far. I looked at the X350 as well, but couldn't justify the higher price ...until the Fall when I put a 44" snowblower on it. If you ever plan to put a snowblower on I would go with the X350 just for the foot operated lift, as the hand operated model is quite a workout. Other than that it's a great machine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want to get away from the wife, buy a smaller size mower....If you don't like being outside in hot weather, go bigger. You should be able to cut an acre in an hour with a 42" riding mower of any type. Check out Outdoor Power Products, a division of Husqvarna for a super capacity, three bin bagger, and you can collect a lot of leaves before having to dump them. Mulched leaves collected in a bagger will generally stay put in wind, and you can use them as mulch, under a thin layer of real mulch around trees and plants if desired. If you just collect full size leaves, they tend to blow around a lot and take up a LOT more volume.

All engines have problems from time to time..Briggs, Kohler, and Kawasaki...they all move factories and what you get is a crap shoot. If you want a commercial grade engine,like those used on commercial zero turns, look for a Vanguard [Briggs] , Command [ or Command Pro, or Kawasaki FX series engine. But let's face it, if you mow 30 times annually [here in central NJ] after ten years you'll only have run 300 hours which any engine will handle if you change oil and air filters regularly.

·
Money Pit
344 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of a tractor and what you can afford. You can NOT compare the two tractors, two totally different breeds. The x350 is a far superior machine. The s240 is just a optioned 100 series tractor, nothing more and nothing less. Don't worry about the transmission. The k46 is a fantastic transmission. People don't generally brag about their transmissions but they will let the world know when one fails. Good luck in your ventures.

·
Registered
57 Posts
S240 is built on the 100 series lighter frame and features many of the upgrades on the X350. Tractor is a decent unit and mows good. With the Acel Deep deck on the X350 machine, you will get a nicer quality of cut! The steering if also a nicer more durable built system. You might ask about the X330 with the Briggs Cyclonic enigne. It is built and based off the Vanguard line of commercial engines and when compared to the S240, it offers a lot of features for not much extra coin. Plus the X330 and X350 are the same except for the engine and you get the 4 year warranty and the nice dash display.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

I'm a new member. This looks like a great site!

I've ever owned a lawn tractor before, only push mowers. Just purchased a new house with 1.2 acre lot so I'm looking at upgrading. Relatively flat yard, although one section has a medium grade. A number of huge old oak trees, but no other significant obstacles. I'll be using the tractor for mowing (obviously), but clearing leaves from the yard and long driveway is also important (the oak trees drop a huge amount of leaves). I always just mulch the grass. At my current house I just mulch the leaves, but there aren't that many trees. At the new house I don't have to bag leaves and could potentially just do a leaf pile if I don't mulch them.

I went to two different local dealers this week looking for advice. Both salesmen were knowledgeable and helpful, but they gave me two different recommendations.

One recommended the S240. He said it is more than capable given my yard size. For the leaves he recommended just using the mulching feature and not collecting them. I'm not totally sure, though, how I'd manage all the leaves on the long driveway.

The other recommended the X350. He said it was more powerful and therefore would be able to handle a chute and hopper system for the leaves. He said mulching the volume of leaves from the oak trees probably isn't practical and I'd need the chute/hopper.

A few questions:

1). In general, thoughts on S240 vs X350? Obviously the cost is higher on the X350. I'm not totally sure what I'm getting for the extra money.

2). Thoughts on leaf management? Is mulching going to work for a large volume of leaves, or am I going to need to collect them?

3). If I collect the leaves, thoughts on the Power Flow system vs cut and throw?

4). 42" vs 48"

I asked all of these questions to the salesmen, but I just received different recommendations and advice. Probably just based on different experiences.

Thanks in advance for any help! Sorry for all the questions.
Welcome,
I've found this site to be very good over the last couple of years with many helpful individuals.
My experience in buying was for a 1.5 acre property with some trees on the 1 acre field and in the front yard. My understanding is that the S240 has similarities in drive train/engine to the X series but on the lighter series frame. I'd initially purchased an X500, in part because I'd be snowblowing with it as well. As a durable machine, the X series are really meant to last. But additionally I believe the X350 has the same foot pedal lift and cut height adjustments as on the X500 and that was really nice, as was the leveling adjustments.
On my field I usually just mow the leaves and just do pick up on the front yard (I mow them into the drive and pick them up). The 48" deck on the X500 did fine for that. I hope that helps.
BTW : I only sold the X500 to upgrade for hydraulics/power steer and tiller.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts