My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been told one of the differences between an x300 tractor and an s240 is the frame.

Can anyone elaborate how important this is?
This will be our first riding lawn mower, and we plan on using it strictly for lawn mower so I would think we wouldn't need a beefier frame. However our yard is on a slight slope and there are a few ruts here and there so maybe a better frame would help it last more years.

Honestly, I don't know anything about the importance of a frame and how it affects reliability so any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you never plan on any more than a mower and maybe a small lawn cart, the S240 would be fine. When moving up higher in the X300 line there are upgrades to the drivetrain; however, you’re spending several thousand over the cost of a S240 at that point.

·
That Guy
996 Posts
The X300 series has a stronger frame, I believe sharing it with the X500 machines. That said, the S240 sits on the same frame as the current E100 series, which is a carryover from the D100 series, and I can tell you from experience that the frame is solid enough for any residential lawn tractor task. I had a D160 for 7 years and absolutely loved it, I felt the frame flex on occasion but I'm a really big guy. I only got rid of the D160 because I wanted to upgrade to a garden tractor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! That cleared it up. Glad to know if I only plan on using the s240 for mowing that I don't need the beefier frame.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks for the info! That cleared it up. Glad to know if I only plan on using the s240 for mowing that I don't need the beefier frame.
You will be MORE than ok. My brother has a little LA105 that he uses to pull a heavy 17 cu. ft. lawn cart, a lawn roller AND a 60-inch Swisher pull-behind 13HP mower deck which he uses for mowing a little over 2 acres. It has like 400+ hours on it and no frame issues at all.

It did blow a head gasket one time (single cylinder B&S engine) but $20 later it was all back together and running like new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts