My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am not willing to put anymore money into my D110. So I checked Consumer Reports and their top two rated lawn tractors are the above.

I've got a 9 acre wooded property with front lawn of about 1/2 acre, back area of a 1/2 acre and a hilly area of another 1/2 acre. Also, I have a hilly roadside area which I only cut a few times per year as the state manages most of that.

Thoughts on these two, or other options would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If you want S240 just pop a Kawasaki and a K46 in your D110... You don't want that

1/2 acre of hills automatically requires something better than a K46 transaxle so neither of those tractors fit your bill..

X500 series or better. Cub Cadet has some decent models, as does Husquvarna as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was trying to see if there were any similarities between an S240 and my old 265. The old 265 has been a great machine. 30 years old and 3000 hours and still runs great. I live on top of a hill so I learned how to approach my hills square to limit slipping. If you mowed with the D110 you probably have that down. I got a deal on an X540 so I retired the 265 to my hunting camp. I like having the differential lock. I’ll let the guys that know those models better answer your questions. I know me, and with 9 acres, I’d have enough heavier work to do in the woods, I’d want a bit bigger machine with diff lock, Joe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is the main difference the diff lock? I've never had a slipping problem as I approach the sloped areas in a certain manner. Just a big price jump from the X350 up to the X500's for a 60 year old guy.

·
Rich
431 Posts
The main difference in the X500 series is a much better transaxle that can do the hills without busting the trans. The diff lock is kinda nice for traction but minor to the stronger trans.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
178 Posts
Differential lock has saved me many times while mowing near ditches, embankments and driving through snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,348 Posts
Of those two, I'd go with the X350 for longer warranty and the additional upgraded components. How old is the D110? If the D handled your property, the X350 certainly would as well. People get a little concerned with overheating the transmission on hills with the D series and the lower end X300s.

X500 is more than just a diff lock, it's a larger and more robust transmission than any in the X300s. You also get larger wheels and a few other upgrades as well. It's been a while since I looked at the differences between the two series so I've forgotten some of them. The X500 upgrades may or may not benefit you, depends on your property and uses for the machine.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
With the hills, and property size, it does seem like a real garden tractor would be a better choice. It would be more durable, and would have more capability to reliable pull heavy items, like a loaded yard trailer, etc.

They do get expensive though, even if you're looking at other colors.

Husqvarna "GT"s have a poor reputation for their frames having issues with bending. But if you were just going to mow, and maybe pull stuff (but no plow, bucket, etc, on the front end), that might be ok. They make one with a K66 that's comparatively affordable, I think.

Is used an option? Around here, you could get a good GT for less than a new S240.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, there are a lot of differences going from the x300 series to the X500’s, and I’m good at spending others money. That aside, I’m 64, and split ten plus cord of wood a year. The lock really stands out pulling wagon loads of wood up a hill. I also got a 47” snow blower with mine. If you won’t be doing all the heavy stuff that I do the X300 may be just the ticket. People ask me how I find so many good deals on stuff. I’m always trying to find a better way to do things, so I’m always looking and asking. Truth be told, my 265 did most of what the X540 does. The X540 just does it easier and safer. I also use it to jocky heavy trailers, my neighbors 7,000 pound boat, on a level court. So, my stuff has to perform above and beyond, I push the limits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of those two, I'd go with the X350 for longer warranty and the additional upgraded components. How old is the D110? If the D handled your property, the X350 certainly would as well. People get a little concerned with overheating the transmission on hills with the D series and the lower end X300s.

X500 is more than just a diff lock, it's a larger and more robust transmission than any in the X300s. You also get larger wheels and a few other upgrades as well. It's been a while since I looked at the differences between the two series so I've forgotten some of them. The X500 upgrades may or may not benefit you, depends on your property and uses for the machine.
D110 is four years old. I have an area that skirts around my pond that requires mowing and a small tractor would probably be risky as it also borders the creek and treeline.

Any idea what the value of a D110 requiring an engine is? Have 140 hours on it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
"Hills" is a key word for an automatic upgrade. Horsepower means very little on mowers - the transmission's capability is a LOT more important. It depends how big your hills are, and the K46 will generate a lot of heat and work a lot harder going up inclines all the time.

I've had an LA140 in the family for 13 years. The electric PTO clutch failed, and upon further inspection, some steering parts were worn as well and the fenderdeck was starting to rust under the black foot pads. Rather than put money into the LA140, we went shopping. The application is a flat yard about 1/4-acre, so 100-series is still appropriate. We compared E170 (today's version of LA140), S240, and X350. We were really disappointed in how much cheaper the E170 is built compared to the LA140. Even the low-end models "aren't made like they used to be." The S240 is still a 100-series at heart but with a Kawasaki engine, so not really that big of an upgrade. (E170 and E180 also have the K46.) After looking at the X350 and driving it, it was a no-brainer to make that move up. The X350 is a bit easier to steer (still love the power steering on my X394, though) and also has a little tighter turning radius. The fact that X has a 4-year warranty as opposed to 2 years on 100's and 3 years on S240 was just more reason to go X350.

We also found out that the pandemic has had an effect on tractor supply. Both the 100-series/240 plant in Tennesse and the X plant in Horicon, WI have had part supply problems. The factories are trying to stay open and haven't had to close completely, but there are parts shortages that are slowing the flow of product. Two dealers told me that they've heard rumors about lots of tractors sitting around at the factories that are nearly finished but are just missing a couple of parts. So right now, supply could be an issue and limit the choices in your area. The X350 we bought had literally just come in the door a few days earlier and was the only one in stock.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
393 Posts
On the used issue. As I mentioned, I’m 64, if I find one of the bigger Kawasaki powered tractors with less than 1000 hours on it, I figure it will last longer than me. They have super fragile hoods, so I don’t really take much notice if one is cracked, as long as the rest looks well maintained. Always ask for a maintenance schedule. Many people that shell out the money for one of these tractors get all of the work done at the dealer. I got two filing cabinet folders of every thing ever done to the X540, including the order form and bill of sale. If the certain model has some kind of issue, you can see if it’s been addressed, or if you can expect it to happen in the future. I’m sure many of the box store Deere’s go their entire life without an oil change. To find a high end tractor abused like that would be a rarity. Good luck with whatever you decide. I thought my little 265 was one of the best, nimble, mowers I ever had. The X540 with power steering, does every thing the little one did, much faster.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Any idea what the value of a D110 requiring an engine is? Have 140 hours on it.
Since our LA140 wasn't 100% functional (bad PTO clutch), the two dealers I was talking to told me that they'd basically take it off our hands and resell it to someone who would strip it for parts. Had it been in working condition, one dealer would have given us a few hundred dollars for it on a trade. It had 260 hours and was in really good shape in general - stored indoors, no damage on it from running into anything, and kept pretty clean. We probably could have fixed it up for now for a couple hundred dollars, but at 13 years old it was just another problem waiting to happen, and we need it to be totally reliable.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you want S240 just pop a Kawasaki and a K46 in your D110... You don't want that

1/2 acre of hills automatically requires something better than a K46 transaxle so neither of those tractors fit your bill..

X500 series or better. Cub Cadet has some decent models, as does Husquvarna as well.
I agree with skipping a lawn mower with a K46. As a side note, there are many more differences between a D110 and S240 than described above.

I would suggest a K58 minimum. Those are sold as a heavy duty lawn transaxle. Husqvarna could be OK if you use it strictly as a grass cutter. Don't let the K66 and big tires fool you...a garden tractor it is not.

·
Registered
789 Posts
got a 9 acre wooded property with front lawn of about 1/2 acre, back area of a 1/2 acre and a hilly area of another 1/2 acre. Also, I have a hilly roadside area which I only cut a few times per year
How hilly? 10 degrees, 15 degrees, 25 degrees?
At 10 degrees, unless you mow when its 90 degrees out side, the K46 will be okay for the amount of land you mow. Above that maybe not.

I have 10 acres and the JD app says I mow about an acre and it takes 1-2 hours to do it. I have been using an X300 for more than a decade, but recently upgraded to an X534 (just as old and with 100 more hours on it). The X534 (new equivalent is the X584) is much more tractor than the X300. It is also much more money.

Deere is really good at providing a lot of choices. Each increment is just a few hundred dollars more, so it is easy to spend more than you really need. But, it is also to buy less than you need. For a property my size, a 100 series would not have lasted long. The X300 is still running well and works well. I got the X534 because I wanted more tractor. I already have a CUT, but wanted a smaller machine for smaller tasks, where a big machine is too big. Funny thing is, the X700 series are better tractors, so I sometimes think I should get one of those. But I also think that it might be too big for some of the mowing tasks.

So, for the mowing, if you have been happy with the D110, the X350 is a fine choice. There are other more capable choices in the X300 line, with more comfort options too. When you jump to the X500 line the bottom model strips out PS and deck lift. The big change is the strength/capability of the transaxle and difflock. It took me more than a month before I got into a situation where I needed difflock (it is true that AWS can get you out of some situations that might normally require difflock). Part of this is the X534 has at least 200lbs on the X300, so it has better traction without difflock.

Buying new is easy, but you pay for that. Buying used can be much harder, so how valuable is your time. If you have lots of time on your hands used can be a good path. But also be prepared for spending some time/money restoring the machine to top shape. I have spent more time troubleshooting and fixing my X534 than I have spent mowing with it. It seemed like it was in fine shape when I bought it and it generally is, but still has an issue with burping oil.

Pictures of the area you mow will give you more opinions of what would be best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How hilly? 10 degrees, 15 degrees, 25 degrees?
At 10 degrees, unless you mow when its 90 degrees out side, the K46 will be okay for the amount of land you mow. Above that maybe not.

I have 10 acres and the JD app says I mow about an acre and it takes 1-2 hours to do it. I have been using an X300 for more than a decade, but recently upgraded to an X534 (just as old and with 100 more hours on it). The X534 (new equivalent is the X584) is much more tractor than the X300. It is also much more money.

Deere is really good at providing a lot of choices. Each increment is just a few hundred dollars more, so it is easy to spend more than you really need. But, it is also to buy less than you need. For a property my size, a 100 series would not have lasted long. The X300 is still running well and works well. I got the X534 because I wanted more tractor. I already have a CUT, but wanted a smaller machine for smaller tasks, where a big machine is too big. Funny thing is, the X700 series are better tractors, so I sometimes think I should get one of those. But I also think that it might be too big for some of the mowing tasks.

So, for the mowing, if you have been happy with the D110, the X350 is a fine choice. There are other more capable choices in the X300 line, with more comfort options too. When you jump to the X500 line the bottom model strips out PS and deck lift. The big change is the strength/capability of the transaxle and difflock. It took me more than a month before I got into a situation where I needed difflock (it is true that AWS can get you out of some situations that might normally require difflock). Part of this is the X534 has at least 200lbs on the X300, so it has better traction without difflock.

Buying new is easy, but you pay for that. Buying used can be much harder, so how valuable is your time. If you have lots of time on your hands used can be a good path. But also be prepared for spending some time/money restoring the machine to top shape. I have spent more time troubleshooting and fixing my X534 than I have spent mowing with it. It seemed like it was in fine shape when I bought it and it generally is, but still has an issue with burping oil.

Pictures of the area you mow will give you more opinions of what would be best.
Yes, the D110 was fulfilling my needs. Will probably need a 4x4 RTV before I need a tractor as pulling trees out of the forest for firewood will be a future chore. Have been relying on buying firewood for the first few years we've been here.

For the hill area I usually just go back and forth on the runs and not up and down the entire length.

Will go to the dealer tomorrow and check out the X3 and 5 series. Leaning towards the X350 for budgetary reasons as the RTV and woodsplitter are making there way into my thoughts.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Fair enough, I just said it was more practical, not more fun. There was no mention about the RTV being for fun, just chores 😉

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
You could spend 1/2 of what you want to on an RTV on a 4x4 japanese mini truck ( Kei truck ). They can be road legal as well. I daily drove one for 2 years. Great fun and used it for yardwork as well

1 - 20 of 28 Posts