My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since we still have some winter left I figured I get the 2nd Suburban (S2) put together, I'm not painting it just reassembling it, it was missing a few things like a carb, a fuel tank, the starter/gen cover drive belt and the brake assy. I got the brake assembled and installed, got the main belt on, had a carb and went thur it pretty much made a new wire harness installed a new light switch and a generator warning light. Got it running a day or so ago had it out and drove around found that the gen light went out but at 1/2 throttle and more it would come on, removed the voltage regulator checked it again on my home made test stand cleaned the voltage control points and adjusted them and am thinking it might also have had grounding issue anyway reinstalled it and run the engine and its working like its suppose to. Here's a few pics its no beauty and as you can the old battery is on life support but it works to keep the engine running (battery ignition) to drive it around.

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Plowthesidewalk, grill screen is in place its painted black so doesn't show much, the hood is off till I get everything done like the battery hold down and air filter installed.

· Cranky Motorsports
15,197 Posts
I am not sure thats a 66- I have never seen an orange one- could be a leftover 66 that got painted orange for 1967, or possibly repainted by Previous owner? looks like the motor was swapped too. Whats the model number? Is it readable?

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi GT 80, the PO painted it when I removed the transaxle to install the brake assy it was blue in places the model number is long gone but the SN stamped in the plate is 2617 and there are small differences from the 67 I have, like the steering system, and it looks like the steering wheel sits more level (less angle) then the 67, it had no generator light and has the flat fenders, and yes the engine must have been changed at some time as it's black but does have a Sears PN 143-56042.
This tractor came with no fuel tank and since I didn't want to pay the price that the tanks seem to sell for on e bay I discovered that the tank from a Tecumseh snowblower engine fits good just used SS worn drive clamps to hold it in place.
Got the carb adjusted and the airfilter assy installed this AM now it to get the battery hold downs installed and the hood.

· Cranky Motorsports
15,197 Posts
Very nice! You got it squared away on the year model ;D

Very nice machines- the older DB's are the most comfortable to drive, the 66-67 close behind. Great machines though... My Jolene is one comfortable ride!

· Registered
1,533 Posts
Nice :) somebody was smart and painted it orange as it looks very good.............

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys, here it is not a show girl but a solid old gal. I'm not sure the orange was an upgrade I much prefer blue to orange but orange it is for now. Yea I like the 60 DB I have its a good driving tractor. I did notice when installing the air cleaner assy that the engine has been repainted black looks like it was once blue.
Hey Plowthesidewalk, got the hood on and I see what you were asking about the grill looking like no screen, I replaced the screen as the original had been damaged and the screen I had has smaller wire and I painted it black so you can see thur it easier.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Sweet !!! looks good, I like it :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

· Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi dmorrill22, connect one wire of the light to 12 V DC that is switched off with the ignition switch, and the other wire to the "A" of the starter/generator. When the generator is off line the "A" terminal is grounded as the generator comes on it becomes positive and the light goes out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.