My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hey Gatz. The two factory installed spindles were bad, one of them needed to be replaced and the other one needed to be adjusted. However, one of the dealer's employees dragged the blades and deck on the trailer while loading it and bent the new spindle and deck. They replaced the new spindle but I had to pay to have the deck fixed. It seems to be cutting properly now but I think I'll still sell it this spring and get a different brand lawn tractor because I've had enough of my local JD dealer. I simply haven't decided which brand as I'm still researching the various models.

·
blinged out
1,176 Posts
that's sounds like a bad deal! if they damaged my deck they'd be fixing it on there dime! I've been watching this thread and waiting to hear the outcome,my neighbour has an s240 and it cuts better than my 54" edge xtra no question! they seem like a good machine for cutting grass dollarwise,longevity will be the final answer! Kawi is a great engine,just so quiet and they seem to run effortless!

·
Registered
191 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. I have an X300 with the 42" Edge eXtra deck. I have never been happy with it. It probably isn't leveled correctly and it is possible that the spindles aren't aligned either. But, I believe it leaves the strip because there is very little overlap of the two blade/circles. The three blade decks have what Deere calls 2" overlap, which means 1" of each blade overlaps the other. By contrast, the 42X deck has much less. So, if the ends of the blade get rounded over slightly, they reduce the size of the cut circle. That makes it easier to leave uncut grass. I usually cut my grass when it is long and also have the deck high, which are both tougher conditions to get a good cut. My next deck will have more overlap. Hopefully, that will help.

·
blinged out
1,176 Posts
my 54" cuts fine on the flat areas but the deck length front to back leaves areas of uneven cut. My raised septic bed is about 3 ft. from the driveway with flat grass strip in between when cutting straight up the incline slope it leaves longer grass when the front wheels start to rise and cutting sideways it scalps the lower side! maybe just a bad landscape design but I never had this problem with all my previous tractors with 2 blade decks!

61 - 65 of 65 Posts