My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
dwendt44
66 Posts
The blades do not interfere with each other. The left blade is offset
forward of the right. The 'circles' they cut overlap and there should be no
gap left. The belts are common 'V' belts with no teeth or notches.

My 2¢

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This sounds really obvious, but are the blades too short? The 42" two-blade Deere decks I see on line have overlapping blades that must be timed to avoid clashing.
Where are you seeing this? For any deck that uses "timed" blades the spindles will be driven by a toothed belt so that they cannot slip and change position. The JD decks all use regular V-belts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Where are you seeing this? For any deck that uses "timed" blades the spindles will be driven by a toothed belt so that they cannot slip and change position. The JD decks all use regular V-belts.
Right you are! My observations were completely off base. Sorry about that.

But the same question still applies - are the blades too short? Laying a straight edge or string down the centerline of the deck mounting brackets in the direction of travel and turning the blades through should show whether the blades cover the center strip.

It's unlikely but easy to check.

·
Registered
167 Posts
He was probably thinking of the 42" Freedom decks on the older LT models that do have a timing belt.

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts

JD does have some timed decks. But as stated they take a toothed belt so they don't change position.

·
3,373 Posts
I didn't read all 45 of the previous posts, so I don't know if someone already suggested that maybe you are going to fast over the lawn?

·
Registered
405 Posts
He was probably thinking of the 42" Freedom decks on the older LT models that do have a timing belt.
HE, meaning ME, looked at an upside-down Deere deck photo on line, and seeing the blades positioned at a precise 90-degree angle, ASSUMED it meant they were timed blades, similar to my cub cadet. BAD assumption, the 90-degrees must have been a coincidence because a closer look revealed it is simply an offset two-bladed deck style that I am not familiar with. (My Simplicity 3-bladed deck works this way, but the triangle is symmetrical rather than dragging along half the deck off-kilter).

My good buddy neighbor, who is a good equipment maintainer, has vintage 110 and 120 John Deere mowers and those decks do a simply awful job, more like a rough-cut field mower than a groomer. I am sure there must be better Green and Yellow decks out there somewhere.

p.s. I am not a green-hater. I just don't have much experience with them, so I should just keep my mouth shut. 'nuff said!:sorry1:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Is this a continuous uncut strip, or only on turns?

I ask because a lot of 2 blade decks will miss a spot on hard turns in on direction or the other, depending on which way the blades are offset.

In straight line cuts the offset provides a blade overlap, in a sharp turn it may not be sufficient.

·
Jack of all trades
162 Posts
I've searched for about 45 minutes but couldn't find the thread, but last spring there was another member on here with the same issue. Don't remember the exact model but I thought it was the same guy just reposting, as I thought it was another S240.
Gotta be an issue with either the deck being mis-stamped or the blades are too short.

Take the deck off, and see how much clearance there is between the end of the blades and the sides of the mower deck. With the deck off and upside down, just spinning the blades by hand should make the issue obvious I would think.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Beings it's a 2-blade deck, the spindles/blades must be staggered to avoid interference as they are not "timed" by a toothed belt.
From the online picture, it appears they rotate in a CW direction as viewed from above.
(The nuts that hold them on are Right-Hand threaded, correct ?)

I'm guessing that JD's blades are a fraction or more of an inch too short to overlap and prevent the uncut strip.
This would be easy to see if the deck is off and flipped over.

Maybe this has been a problem all along and they don't want to admit to it.

gatz
(just read MrLS6 reply...same thoughts)

Attachments

·
JD318
990 Posts
All good info & advice from previous posts...take it to the dealer, tell him to mow with it, show him the problem, and tell him to fix it or keep it until it is. Don't take the BS line of "it's working as it's supposed to". If that's the case, there's a defective "something" on the tractor. This isn't rocket science- tell them to get off their *** & do it right! I can probably guess that they did not mow anything with it.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
What happened to the original poster? Maybe solved the problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't forget that every time you sharpen the blades, you make them shorter! Not the end to end measurement, the diagonal that determines the cutting width. Has our OP sharpened the blades a lot?

fatjack

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was under the impression he’s used several sets of new blades of various types.

OP - definitely update us with how things work out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn't mention it before; hoping the answer was fairly simple. And this may not enter into the realm of possibilities to address the OP's situation, but....
Couple years ago, I had traded a 54" deck for a 48" deck for my GX345. Both were 3-blade decks.
The reason being, it fit in between trees & fence alot better.
The guy I traded with said that it always left an uneven cut; however, it was not leaving uncut grass...just different heights

After checking the blade alignment, it was obvious that one spindle was out of alignment.
Took a while to figure out just what happened and what could be done about it.
Hard to believe, but the mounting area or flange area on the one spindle was not in the same plane as the others.
It was definitely tilted. Removed the spindle assemblies.

And made a set of rings that bolted onto where the assembly was to ensure the area stayed flat. Then proceeded to wail on that area of the deck until the planes aligned
Took quite a while with a bfh.
I don't know the reason for the problem, the other guy never mentioned that he had hit anything.
But, it would have taken a heavy crash or hitting a stump to make it deform that much; assuming it was OK from the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like y'all have expended the supply of local knowledge. I was a JD service rep for several dealers and started with Ag but ended up with Industrial. There are service reps and sales reps from JD that call on the dealer out of the Agriculture or Consumer Products branch office. The dealer needs to get hold of one of them or a Technical Assistance Center or the manufacture office and get assistance. Your dealer is probably serviced out of the Columbus Branch of John Deere. Your type of problem are what Deere field reps are for and I assisted in resolving many problems with engines, electrical, power train and hydraulics as well as attachments such as mowers, balers, combines, bulldozers, backhoes etc. that was my job to aid the customer and dealer. The dealer should be happy to serve the customer whether he bought the equipment from him or a Big Box store or used as he should get most of parts and service in warranty and out. Any questions on the extended warranty should be handled similarly with dealer first then go to the Branch office thru dealer or direct if dealer doesn't help. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
x2

Andreas
I don't know what happened to my original post. In any event, my JD dealer has had the S-240 for almost two weeks. I received a call from them yesterday and the service rep informed me that the spindles are bad, one of them not too bad and the other one very bad. I never heard any squealing or dragging noises from the spindles and they seemed to be working properly but then again, I'm not a mower tech so I was unable to diagnose the problem. The blades seemed to be working properly. They are replacing the spindles under warranty as I have an extended warranty until some time in 2022. I think they never tried cutting grass after their previous attempts to fix the problem but it seems to me that they should have discovered the spindle problem without cutting grass. I don't know. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps they'll try cutting a patch of grass after replacing the spindles, although there's not much grass to cut in northeast Ohio this time of year.

Hopefully, the new spindles will solve my problem. The JD dealer's service rep informed me that the one bad spindle on the right side was probably the cause of the uneven cutting and the patch of grass left after mowing, although I don't understand why that would cause the problem unless the spindle for the right blade was tilted. I'm not qualified to make that determination. I'll discuss the situation with the service rep when I pick up the mower tomorrow so that I can better understand the problem and watch for such a problem in the future. The service rep did tell me that the deck was adjusted properly, the hangers are OK and the blades are fine. The air pressure in one of the front tires was slightly off.

I bought the mower in May of 2015 and it has less than 200 hours on it, although it wouldn't have that many hours on it if I didn't have to cut my lawn at least twice every time it needed cut. I hope the new spindles solve the problem because I really want this JD mower to be the quality mower that JD mowers are supposed to be. I waited a long time for my first JD lawn tractor and I want it to last a long time, although if it only lasts a few more years it will probably outlast me.

They also fixed the fuel gauge, which stopped working a few months ago. They discovered that the gauge was stuck because lawn debris was preventing it from moving. I find that odd because I think the engineers should have foreseen/discovered this problem and shielded the gauge from the debris in some manner. again, I'm not a service tech so perhaps my criticism regarding this is unwarranted.

I want to thank everyone for their time and assistance. I appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is really a strange one. Frustrating as all get-out.. I'm sure.

I edited the pix a little hoping to get a better idea of what the problem might be.

(1st & 2nd pix, LEFT side of the deck?) Unless this is due to camera angle distortion, it appears that the spindle pulley and the idler pulley are way out of alignment.

(3rd pic) what is on the deck in the foreground, some duct tape ?

(4th pic)
Can't figure out what might have caused the paint scrubbing.

The circular arc that appears concentric with the spindle.......is that a crack in the deck ?
If the deck is cracked, that's probably where the loud noise is coming from. Is the noise of a high frequency ?...like the blades making contact ?
Why the engine stalls when the blades are engaged is a mystery, unless it's related to the above.
Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction and the dealer/mechanic treat you fairly.

gatz

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
This is really a strange one. Frustrating as all get-out.. I'm sure.

I edited the pix a little hoping to get a better idea of what the problem might be.

(1st & 2nd pix, LEFT side of the deck?) Unless this is due to camera angle distortion, it appears that the spindle pulley and the idler pulley are way out of alignment.

(3rd pic) what is on the deck in the foreground, some duct tape ?

(4th pic)
Can't figure out what might have caused the paint scrubbing.

The circular arc that appears concentric with the spindle.......is that a crack in the deck ?
If the deck is cracked, that's probably where the loud noise is coming from. Is the noise of a high frequency ?...like the blades making contact ?
Why the engine stalls when the blades are engaged is a mystery, unless it's related to the above.
Hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction and the dealer/mechanic treat you fairly.

gatz
Thank you for the prompt reply, gatz, and thank you for fixing the photos. I appreciate it very much. I apologize for my late reply.

The camera angle is correct and yes, the spindle and the idler pulley are way out of alignment. The remains of duct tape you see are the result of having to duct tape JD's mulch attachments, which are so poorly manufactured they never come close to sealing the discharge hole in the deck. If I don't duct tape the mulching plug or the more expensive mulching kit where it extends out of the discharge hole I have grass blowing all over me and everywhere else. It literally blows right up in my face if I don't duct tape it. The circular arc is nothing more than cracked paint, although I don't know what would cause it to crack in such a pattern.

I informed the dealer that I did absolutely nothing to cause the damage to the deck, spindle and pulley and that I felt that they should repair the damage. The only thing I can think of is that the dealer's service tech caught a blade when he loaded the mower onto my trailer. I've loaded the mower onto the trailer dozens of times and I've never dragged a blade or the deck during the transition from the trailer gate to the trailer bed and I didn't do it this time when I unloaded the mower to my driveway.

It's been over a week now and I haven't heard from the dealer. If they refuse to accept responsibility for the damage I'm simply going to pick up the mower, bring it home and then sell it next spring. I'm almost certain they'll deny responsibility. I'll have to repair or replace the deck myself before selling it. I've simply had enough of John Deere. I'm not going to deal with JD again in any capacity. I'm going to take my losses and move on.

I'm not going to contact a JD district rep about it because quite frankly, I've had enough of JD dealers and JD reps. I contacted a JD rep last year or the year before when the dealer couldn't fix the cutting problem. The JD rep completely misunderstood the problem. When he finally understood the plain English in my email I never heard from him again. When I contacted him a second time I never received a reply.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts