My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the engine on the 1250 today... Should have had my Wheaties for breakfast !! How much do those things weigh??

My question is... What is the "economical" way to get the flywheel nut off? I've accumulated a number of "big" single use sockets over the years and this one would definitely be the biggest and most expensive. Would a standard deep socket even be deep enough? Claw-foot? Regular old box-end?

-Neil

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
good morning- are you fixen to rebuild? i bought the one from Rob in new york and i need to get it done before install-- my winter project--

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... I'll try to find a socket then... I measured it and looks like it needs to be 4" deep which isn't all that deep in proportion to the size of the nut I guess.

It's a very tired 020 oversized with a badly scored cylinder wall. Compression reading of 50 (60 if I put some oil down the spark plug hole). I've got a very clean STD jug and piston that I am going to re-ring but I want to check the crank and bearings and replace both crank seals while I'm in there. I NEED mine by Winter so this is my Fall project. : )

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You can always buy two standard-depth deep sockets, cut the back end off of one, and weld it to the front of the whole one, to make a really deep socket.
Harbor Freight tools are good for making stuff like that.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought a standard 1-1/2" deep socket ($8 at TSC)... cut the top off... cut the thread ends off of a 2" diameter 5" long galvanized pipe... welded the 3 pieces together... 4-1/2" total depth... worked like a charm !!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts