My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 rzt 50" and the deck isn't raising. It seems today while I was cutting the blade hit the ground causing the spindle to bend through the deck.

I noticed after that the deck isn't raising or lowering. I was hoping someone could identify what's broken or missing so I can purchase the replacement part.

Also does anyone have experience with one of the spindle repair kits? The metal circles that go around the spindle to re-enforce the deck? This is a used mower I received and I don't have much history with it other than it works and maybe I can fix it up to give it a few more years. She runs pretty decent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't tell from the picture why the raise / lower doesn't work.
But, I have used the repair rings to reinforce the deck where the spindles mount. They work really well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the confirmation. Maybe I'll try to take a video of the deck tomorrow

·
forkz
6,277 Posts
go to parts tree put in model no should be under seat pull of parts diagram of deck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I found the exploded view, but I still cant figure out what exactly is failing on the inside.

I took the deck off. I found the issue, the lift shaft and the hole it rests in is either rusted off or broken. Trying to figure out what parts I need to order or if this can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea how to even get this off. It's as if it's a washer on one side and a nut on the other. I can't remove it from one side and it doesn't feel like it just pops out. It also feels plastic or maybe the steel has become that brittle on it.

MTD 941-0225 Flange Bearing

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
The pic on amazon makes it look like it just pops out (so a whack or two with a hammer on the nut side should get it out). Rust probably is keeping it from easily coming out. And it's just nut-shaped on that side to prevent it from rotating in the deck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the flange out with a flat head.. just popped it out. My last concern is the top of the deck where the spindle is rusted out where the blade hit the ground and bent the metal. Trying to figure out how to repair that.

Has anyone used the deck reinforcement rings on the top of the deck instead of under? It looks like the previous owner possibly did some welding repairs and used the reinforce rings or do the rings come with the deck?

In this pic you can see the bent metal where the top spindle is

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
If that were my deck, I'd be welding in new metal, as that isn't just bent, but rusted through and separated. I wouldn't expect a reinforcement right to hold it for long, given how rusted it is.

And there's a bunch of other spots where it's rusted through as well, I'd be patching those spots as well.

Alternately/as well, I would be on the lookout for another deck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know how much a shop charges to repair a deck? I'll start looking for a deck online

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
The cost for repairing that really depends on where you live and who you know. If you know/find someone who can do the work privately, it might not be too expensive, but a regular welding/fabrication shop probably would be pretty expensive (relatively to what you likely paid for the whole tractor, and probably would approach and/or exceed the cost of a new deck).

Just googling "2008 rzt50 parts", brings up this page
which has a new deck shell for $368.60. I can't say if it's for your unit (it may or may not be), but if this tractor is in otherwise good condition, and you want to keep/use it for some time, getting a new one would get you up and running fast and it would last a long time. You could easily spend that much patching up your deck, and it would still be mostly rusted through everywhere...

·
Money Pit
837 Posts
I hate to say this but your mower deck has expired. It looks paper thin. Please don't try to fix it just replace it. It looks like it's been patched together many many times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So an update... I was able to reinforce the deck.. I got 3 new spindles, blades, tension spring and castor wheel for the deck. Did about 2 acres and the the front left wheel fell into a ditch. The deck hit the edge of the hole and the front pivot axle bent. I have ordered a new front axle and I'll try the next repair. Mower ran great for the 2 hours i was mowing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts