My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a JD 70 last weekend. Has some rust on it but over all in good condition. I don't want to tear it down would just like to sand the rust spots then paint with a rattle can. Worried that it will look sloppy though as the tractor's paint is faded. Does John Deere make a "faded" green? :sidelaugh

Has anyone done some touch up work with success? Any pointers would be great. Thanks

Attachments

·
MTF Member
175 Posts
If you start thouching it up, One spot will lead to another and you will have paint on the whole thing. Do yourself a favor and rethink tearing it down and doing it right from the begining. That will give you a much nicer job in the end.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ditto rooster!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I agree, take it down & do it right the first time! It will never look right trying to touch up the rust spots. If you did find a paint that matches the faded JD green, it won't fade the same in the future, making it look blotchy. Good luck with it!

I just picked up a pair of 70's (well, 1 & 1/2), the 1/2 is for this winter's project. The complete one has a "stuck" engine, will work on it when I get to it. ~~ grnspot

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Ditto, plus it'll look so nice when its done! Those 70's are awesome!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
If you got rust between the metal parts as well,inside the seams,in pics.(and you will have) a part-paint job would not last that long.I'd wire brush what you can get to,shoot on some primer and tear it down when you can spare the time.:trink40:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
And yes the tractor is worth all that work. Lol

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
And yes the tractor is worth all that work. Lol
It's all that work that make the exceptional restorations here so great. :fing32:
Now you are getting some idea what the guys have had to go through !!!
It's the "between " of the before and after pics !!!!!!!!! :banghead3
They make it look easy. :drunkie:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts