My Tractor Forum banner

Rusty bits on the 70

1108 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  KATT
Picked up a JD 70 last weekend. Has some rust on it but over all in good condition. I don't want to tear it down would just like to sand the rust spots then paint with a rattle can. Worried that it will look sloppy though as the tractor's paint is faded. Does John Deere make a "faded" green? :sidelaugh

Has anyone done some touch up work with success? Any pointers would be great. Thanks

Attachments

Picked up a JD 70 last weekend. Has some rust on it but over all in good condition. I don't want to tear it down would just like to sand the rust spots then paint with a rattle can. Worried that it will look sloppy though as the tractor's paint is faded. Does John Deere make a "faded" green? :sidelaugh

Has anyone done some touch up work with success? Any pointers would be great. Thanks
See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
If you start thouching it up, One spot will lead to another and you will have paint on the whole thing. Do yourself a favor and rethink tearing it down and doing it right from the begining. That will give you a much nicer job in the end.
If you start thouching it up, One spot will lead to another and you will have paint on the whole thing. Do yourself a favor and rethink tearing it down and doing it right from the begining. That will give you a much nicer job in the end.
See more
I agree, take it down & do it right the first time! It will never look right trying to touch up the rust spots. If you did find a paint that matches the faded JD green, it won't fade the same in the future, making it look blotchy. Good luck with it!

I just picked up a pair of 70's (well, 1 & 1/2), the 1/2 is for this winter's project. The complete one has a "stuck" engine, will work on it when I get to it. ~~ grnspot
I agree, take it down & do it right the first time! It will never look right trying to touch up the rust spots. If you did find a paint that matches the faded JD green, it won't fade the same in the future, making it look blotchy. Good luck with it!

I just picked up a pair of 70's (well, 1 & 1/2), the 1/2 is for this winter's project. The complete one has a "stuck" engine, will work on it when I get to it. ~~ grnspot
See more
Ditto, plus it'll look so nice when its done! Those 70's are awesome!
Ditto, plus it'll look so nice when its done! Those 70's are awesome!
See more
If you got rust between the metal parts as well,inside the seams,in pics.(and you will have) a part-paint job would not last that long.I'd wire brush what you can get to,shoot on some primer and tear it down when you can spare the time.:trink40:
If you got rust between the metal parts as well,inside the seams,in pics.(and you will have) a part-paint job would not last that long.I'd wire brush what you can get to,shoot on some primer and tear it down when you can spare the time.:trink40:
See more
And yes the tractor is worth all that work. Lol
See more
It's all that work that make the exceptional restorations here so great. :fing32:
Now you are getting some idea what the guys have had to go through !!!
It's the "between " of the before and after pics !!!!!!!!! :banghead3
They make it look easy. :drunkie:
It's all that work that make the exceptional restorations here so great. :fing32:
Now you are getting some idea what the guys have had to go through !!!
It's the "between " of the before and after pics !!!!!!!!! :banghead3
They make it look easy. :drunkie:
See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.