My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I know the answer... but I'll ask anyway.

For over a week, I have been waiting for my local tractor supply store to restock the Valspar Red oxide primer. Other stores in my area carry the Rustoleum rusty metal primer. Both primers are oil based, so does anyone know if I would have a problem with using the Rustoleum primer with the Valspar tractor paint?

thanks

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hey jlinskey,

Both are compatible.

The only problem (I have) with Rustoleum (or Trimclad) red oxide primers is a very slow cure rate. It takes a few days at, or above 72° for their red oxide to fully cure. Once it has cured it needs to be fully abraded with abrasive paper or maroon Scotch-Brite to insure the Valspar top coat color anchors fully.

You can add 25% of Valspar’s universal hardener to expedite the cure rate down to 12 hours but like any paint/primer that's catalyzed, you have to use protective gloves, clothing, respirator and eye protection. Since there is no successful way to apply wet-on-wet (wet color to wet primer) you will still need to thoroughly scuff the cured primer.

Gray primers contain high concentrations of titanium and chalk, dry considerably faster and are just as durable.

Hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
821 Posts
Doesn't Lowes sell Valspar paint?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my area, Lowe's stocks the gray primers only in the spray can. I will be visiting the in-laws this weekend, so I will see if their TSC store has the red oxide primer quarts in stock.

I have been pleased with both of the Valspar primers (sandable gray and the red oxide). On one panel, I had brushed on the gray primer. A week or two later, I decided to sand off the primer to do further work on the metal. The primer was nearly impossible to sand off, and I had to resort to using a chemical stripper to strip the panel back down to the metal. Even with the chemical remover, I had to use it at least 3 times to completely dissolve the primer off of the panel.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
About two years ago I restored a Troy-Bilt tiller with that exact process, sandblast, Rustoleum "rusty metal" red and a few coats of sprayed (with hardner) Massey Ferguson red. Two years later it still looks perfect and even where the paint is on the tiller cover it's perfect. I did get just a little burning within a 1" radius of the muffler, but that is not unexpected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good posts on these paints. I'm interested in what, if any, other rust protection was used for rusted areas before priming.

thanks very much

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Good posts on these paints. I'm interested in what, if any, other rust protection was used for rusted areas before priming.

thanks very much
There are phosphoric acids that neutralize rust and covert it to a primer. They work very well. High end would be Por15 that air cures very hard. Rust-Mort and other rust converters work well too....and not nearly as pricey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts