My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a rust colored dust on my shoes after walking through my lawn for the past week.

While checking this out on the web, folks say it is called "rust" and is a type of mold on the blades of the grass. Evidently based on peoples opinions it is not hazardous.

Has any one else experienced this, should I be concerned and should I treat it or just let it run its course? Like many other areas, it has been unseasonably warm and humid with little rain (I water once a week to keep the lawn from drying out as early in the season I could take my pocket knife and cut into the soil and it was bone dry easily 3"down, hence my watering routine.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
I had this problem also. A first for me.
It is most prevalent in newly established lawns (like mine) and in certain Kentucky Blue Grass types. You also had the right weather to bring it on.

If you want it gone just apply the highest nitrogen fertalizer you can find and water. Scotts 20-0-5 worked great for me. It won't take long to go away.

Think of it this way. Rust is your grass telling you it needs nitrogen.
Hope this helps.:fing32:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have Kentucky Blue Grass mix that the previous owner had seeded with so between environmental conditions and the grass type it is good to know!

Guess I will swing by my local supply store and pick up some fertilizer!

Thanks for the information! :trink39:

Funny thing is as I was telling folks I know in the area none of them had any idea what I was talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts