My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are a lot of N owners who have this problem. I have a 1952 8N 4 speed without any additional over or under drives. In order to get the full pto speed the tractor travels too fast. Is it just my tractor or is the pto speed contingent upon the rpm. To get high rpm in first, she just moves too fast for me. This is with a brush hog or a box blade. Is my experience unusual or is there something I can do to make it more comfortable. To sum it up, I'd like to go slower with more rpm. Is it possible?

Harris

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Nope, nature of the beast. The PTO speed is directly related to the speed of the engine and speed of the tractor. The PTO is transmission driven. The over and under drive transmissions also directly affect the PTO speed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I got an early model 8N and it came with 11.2X28 rear tires. I changed them out with some 12.4X28's and noticed that the ground speed had increased a lot. lost a bit of power too. Dont know what size rears you have but if they are much bigger than 11.2 they can have a detrimental effect on the ground speed VS PTO speed. good luck with your problem.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,556 Posts
I'm sure there are a lot of N owners who have this problem. I have a 1952 8N 4 speed without any additional over or under drives. In order to get the full pto speed the tractor travels too fast. Is it just my tractor or is the pto speed contingent upon the rpm. To get high rpm in first, she just moves too fast for me. This is with a brush hog or a box blade. Is my experience unusual or is there something I can do to make it more comfortable. To sum it up, I'd like to go slower with more rpm. Is it possible?

Harris
1st is too fast for brush hog ??

PTO has nothing to do with the box blade.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
1st is too fast for brush hog ??
That's what I thought but different comfort levels for different folks... Of course we are assuming he knows that full RPM for the PTO is at 2/3 - 3/4 throttle and not WOT.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'll admit it when I was cutting that really tall johnson grass I would have liked to go slower and just creep over it to cut it up little by little.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I saw a brush beater that had an old T-98 Warner transmission from a truck mounted on it. This transmission was mounted backwards with the PTO feeding the output shaft and the clutch shaft driving the beater. Owner said he put the transmission in third gear which speeded the brush beater up considerably and idled his tractor down to control ground speed. Don't know if an 8N would have to power to allow this or not.

I can see where it would be really easy to over speed a brush beater doing this.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I can see where it would be really easy to over speed a brush beater doing this.

Mike
Don't think I would want to be around it...:Stop:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought an old rust bucket with a HOward gear box in it. Hope to get it running to use for mowing. It is aft of the trans so it slows tractor down but not the PTO. MOst of the time I mow in first gear witeh 540 pto rpm and have no trouble but would like to go slower sometimes. The Howard should take care of that.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Just don't do any heavy pulling with that Howard or you won't have it long. Mowing it will do fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts