My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 JD X728, Kawasaki FD750D-ES12 engine
runs and drives for 10 feet then quits/ no backfire/new battery/new fuel filter/ lights work/motor turns over good/ fuel pump turns on , but VERY intermittently/absolutely no symptoms leading up to this problem!!
UPDATE:
read through a few threads; went out and checked fuses, none under right fender though(?), tried starting it, and surprize! it started and ran for about 5 minutes; as soon as I pulled the PTO switch to engage the blades, she started sputtering and stalled, not to start again...???
Now, have had trouble with brake sticking...have to kick it a few times to let go...so much so that I only push it far enough to light up the light on the dash and start it, otherwise, it takes running it fast to get the brake to release...I realize I need to fix that...

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Maybe narrow down when it happens? Does the engine run longer if the tractor doesn't move? Does it quit when you go over a bump? Does the motor stop as if you turned off the key, or does it seem/sound different from that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe narrow down when it happens? Does the engine run longer if the tractor doesn't move? Does it quit when you go over a bump? Does the motor stop as if you turned off the key, or does it seem/sound different from that?
really, have never had a problem, except for brake sticking (see update) since I got it

·
4,180 Posts
In your first post you say the fuel pump comes on intermittently ..so it does not always seem to be operating?..That would be the problem

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Fuel injected, so it's got a computer, so possibly it has a oil level or oil pressure sensor that shuts the engine down if the sensor still reads low after 10 seconds of running?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
2012 JD X728, Kawasaki FD750D-ES12 engine
runs and drives for 10 feet then quits/ no backfire/new battery/new fuel filter/ lights work/motor turns over good/ fuel pump turns on , but VERY intermittently/absolutely no symptoms leading up to this problem!!
Maybe if you didn't use a run on sentence we could understand you better. Is it the fuel pump turning on that is very intermittent, or is it that the fuel pump always turns on when you turn the key, but the problem is very intermittent?

UPDATE:
read through a few threads; went out and checked fuses, none under right fender though(?), tried starting it, and surprize! it started and ran for about 5 minutes; as soon as I pulled the PTO switch to engage the blades, she started sputtering and stalled, not to start again...???
Are you saying that after that episode it has never started again? Did you turn off the PTO? Does the starter turn the engine but it won't start, or does the starter not turn at all?

Sorry if I seem like I'm nit picking, but I do computer support for a living and I've learned over the years that assumptions get made on unclear information which leads to a longer time to resolution, so getting a good detailed description of a problem helps to narrow down the problem for a quicker resolution.

With no additional information than your original post, my guess would be an isue with one of the safety switches, most likely the one for the brake.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Something to thank about!.. A mother was cleaning inside the deep-freeze, and when she went to plug in the electric cord the house cat had jumped inside the freezer, the mother closes the freezer lid and goes about cleaning the house. Six hours later she needs some frozen meat for dinner and opens the freezer lid to find a frozen house cat. She rushes to call the veterinarian and he tells her to get a eye dropper with some gasoline in it and put in down the throat of the cat. She does as the vet suggested. The cat comes to life and runs about 10 feet and keels over and dead. She calls the vet once again to tell him what happen. The vet asks, "what happen". She says..."ran out of gas". Moral of the story, "always check for gas when engine dies."

Now back to the problem here. Appears the igniter is failing when it gets heated up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts