My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've uploaded a video of my tractor. It's a 12hp briggs. I replaced the carburetor thinking it would fox this issue but it hasnt. Any insight would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am no certified mechanic, but that amount of gas being pumped in there would ascertain to me that a carb problem is certainly afoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I failed to mention I put an electric fuel pump on as the tank is lower than the engine. It runs good for a few minuets then fuel spits out. Could there be too much fuel coming in from the pump?

·
Super Moderator
31,836 Posts
May be that the float valve needle isn't seating to prevent fuel from being pumped in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible for too much fuel pressure for the float needle to hold back after running

·
Super Moderator
31,836 Posts
What were the specs on the fuel pump you put on? Should be between 2.5 - 4 PSI.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,101 Posts
That pump is probably to much PSI for the carb

·
Registered
190 Posts
Forgetting to mention you installed a pump is a bit of critical information .... That certainly explains the rushing of fuel being pumped in there. I would indeed turn to the pump.

Curious, is this the original engine on this tractor?

Did the original setup on this tractor have a fuel pump as well, or you just decide to install one?

Is this tractor a home build, and not OEM configuration?

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
If the tank is below the inlet to the float bowl, it must have had a factory installed pump. Most B&S had a pulse pump, operated by the pulsation in the crankcase caused by the piston moving up and down. If the poppet valves or the diaphragm fail in one of those, or you get oil behind the diaphragm, it may not work.
Replacing with an electric pump is likely causing too much fuel pressure, overcoming the needle valve and allowing the bowl to flood... and you see the slight hurricane inside the intake that makes the engine run like... you don't want it to.
I would return the electric as it has too much pressure, and replace with a 'generic' pulse pump, or one designed for the Briggs. A pressure regulator may do the job, but you are doing nothing extra except adding complexity. IMO. The simple previously there worked for a decade or so..
tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts