My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my JD LX255 (Kohler CV15S) for about three days. It has been starting okay after "resting" overnight, but if I shut it off after running, it won't even kick. Today, I started it up and actually mowed for maybe 10 minutes at full throttle and it died and won't start again. When it died, it didn't sputter or run rough at all... just stopped dead. It turns over but no sign of life. The only obvious thing I notice is that the new fuel filter (which I believe to be the right one), never seems to fill up with gas... maybe a third full. Is this normal? Other than that, I am stumped (I have done most everything I know how to do, but I thought I would put this issue out there one more time. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The filter sounds okay. Your symptoms sound exactly like the ones I had with my STX38, Kohler 12.5. It turned out to be the coil. As explained to me, resistance increases as the motor warms up, until the weak coil can no longer provide an effective spark. My coil ran around $70 from JD and it took about an hour for my fumble fingers to R&R it.

BTW, I wasted a whole lot of time and money chasing fuel system issues thinking that was the cause, before the coil instantly gave me a strong running Deere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also check the air cooling system. If it gets clogged with grass and other stuff it will block the air flow and cause vapor lock. It will run for about 10 min and then cut off.....good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts