My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could've been killed. What causes a skidsteer to runaway on you?

Today I was plowing snow in a New Holland L170 skid steer.

Suddenly, it seemed to lack power. RPM bogged down a bit to 1900. I laid off the controls and the rpm came back up. I tried forward again the rpm came down gene more and a whining sound happened and the machine shut down and started rolling backwards under gravity. Free wheeling but there was a clicking noise. I immediately tried to put the arm down but it didn't work. No control power. I reached under the seat and pulled the hydraulic emergency relief valve and the arms came down and stopped my machine.

Thanks goodness I was doing my neighbors drive way that is relatively flat. My drive has 5 switchbacks in 1400 feet with lots of elevation. I'd surely be dead had I been working on my own driveway.

So any idea what could cause this? When I turn it over there is a whiny noise coming from the left side of machine.

Thanks for any advice. I'm new to the forum so let me know if there's a better place to post this.

Cheers
And Thanks

Geoff

·
Super Moderator
27,703 Posts
Sounds like you lost hydrostatic pressure. I left a hydrostatic machine on a slight incline not running and didn't set parking brakes, shortly afterwards it rolled back and into a ditch. Also had a line burst and lost pressure and it rolled free as well.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I would agree with PA318, however, I took a look at the parts diagrams for this machine and it does seem to have spring actuated brakes on the hydraulic motors.

On the other hand, the motor powers a gearbox (reducer I think), then it's a chain drive going from the gearbox to the front and rear wheel.

I'm thinking that either the gearbox or chain broke, then jammed causing the engine to bog and finally it let go in free wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I have some new information...

I went back to the machine this morning and tried to start it. No fire and it sounded to be working hard.
Ary must be involvedAs I needed to.move it out of the middle of the driveway I lifted the snow blade with a jack thinking that I might be able to pull it somewhere. I pulled the emergency relief valve which I was jacking it , thinking that I'd be able to lift just the arm rather than the whole machine. That didn't work. So then I tried to start it again and as I hit the starter the blade flipped hard over to the other side...interesting...this means that the auxilary had to be engaged. I pushed on the foot peddle and learned that it was stuck in the down position. I got it freed up and again tried to start the machine....sure enough it fired up. Problem solved.....

So when I use the aux to put the blade from one side to the other, once the blade reaches the other side,, the machine bogs down....so it bogged right down and stalled itself when the peddle got stuck. This caused some sort of weird hydraulic condition that let it run free. I would still really like to know whether there is something else wrong with the brakes that allowed this to happen. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

Geoff

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

I know nothing about those machines, but I'm glad you're OK. I'd like to think that the brakes are designed to stop the machine under any circumstances, so I'd really be looking at that.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts