My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to some JD dealers recently on X700/2305 questions. When I mentioned the new 2305 replacement model coming up for 2011, I was met with both a surprise that I knew about it and some strong reluctance to discuss it. Since it was quiet in the store at the time, I was able to involve 3 salesmen and 1 parts guy on the subject of the new machines. The sales people new pretty well what I was talking about, not surprising the parts fellow did not. There was a lot of talk about what’s coming, but many things said where done so while looking in the opposite direction not making any eye contact, as if to say ‘you didn’t hear it from me’. I was also asked not disclose any names or dealer locations to anyone. OK, fine...

Here is what was, in a nutshell, gleaned from the 20 minute conversation:

The X700 series is dead. :crybaby: All X74x models will be re-born under a Super SCUT class in the Utility Tractor division.:thThumbsU All gas models will be dropped in favour of diesel as will the SE versions. The base X700 model never sold, so it’s gone. Consumer mowers will top out with the X540. If you want diesel or 4wd look at the new SSCUT line. This new line may be numbered 1000 series (as another poster hypothesized). The new (re-born X700 series) will feature a reworked frame with thicker cross section. It will handle a backhoe, CX200 loader, get a dedicated high capacity hydro pump, foldable ROPS, 3pt and PTO would be standard on the K92 etc. It will retain its low CoG, wider stance, tilt steering, 4WS and AWFD systems. All models should be able to take a 7-Iron deck and center mounted blade (currently not possible with X729/49 models). Essentially, it a marriage of the best properties of the 2305 and the X700’s.

Pricing should start a little below the current X740 model and climb depending on drive train and steering systems.

This will clearly overrun the price of the 2305? Nope, the 2305 is a goner.

The 2000 series will start at the 2020 model and go up from there.
Further to that, I was told that come January, he could make some very aggressive prices on remaining 2305’s. Also, he said, if I was in this market now (I am) do myself a favour and wait till January. It will be much clearer then.

Why is this happening? He says most consumers don’t want to spend 10K+ on a lawn mower. Those who do, want more than just a mower. Those who buy the gas model tend not to add the PTO or hitch and stay with 2wd or 4ws. Those, whom buy diesel, do buy the PTO, 3pt and 4WD and/or 4WS and ground engaging equipment etc. Clearly there are two distinct markets here. Also, there are too many 2305 buyers who sell to upgrade to a larger machine soon after, citing the 2305 is ‘cute’, but it does not cut it. By drawing a line in the sand between the X500 and 1000series machines, perhaps these markets will be better served?

Remember, this is all an interpretation of a ‘loose’ discussion, with a lot winking and indirect commitment to the ‘truth’. But based on the photo we’ve seen, and the way the X700’s have been selling it looks like this is going to probably happen, or at least begin to happen in 2011. Or, maybe they are just blowing smoke and it’s all a red herring.... we’ll see.

Please discuss

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
After all the discussion/recommendations re. X7xx's vs. SCUT's here on MTF, this makes a lot of sense. Finally JD found out that "too many choices" in such a narrow market section is not such a good sales strategy.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
It sounds good and I'm sticking with my 2305 and making it special little by little. slkpk

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
With have owning a 2210.. I know if i didn't need a much larger unit i would have kept that sweet hard working little monster here. If guys are upgrading from that to one or two above it they have got to be working the new one to the limit also.. I will miss my 2210... BUT the 4520 isn't just a step up..

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Anything is possible and until it happens it's all rumor, but I can't believe the statement that people don't want to spend 10K on a "lawn tractor" because if this forum is any indicator, we currently have no less than 10 X7 series owners, and I'd venture to say that count is a lot higher.

The person that would buy an X7 is the same person that bought a 318, a 425, a 585 etc. And that is a person looking for a 30 year machine that isn't a SCUT.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for sure.

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
The 2305 isn't going anywhere. It is one of Deere's best selling models. It will be renumbered (1xxx series) but Deere isn't going to give up sales to Kubota, Yanmar and others in this popular size. The X changes are a little more difficult to guess. October Deere camp is going to be interesting. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,650 Posts
Just going to have to find something else to add to my 318 to keep me from getting jealous!!! Rebranding it to SHG (Super Holy Grail) might help I suppose!!! However I think splitting the X7xx series off to SCUT status is going to miss some of those who want more ground engaging but don't want to smell Diesel. But this should be interesting. I'll have to talk to my cousin about this and see if he will divulge any details!

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
The 2305 isn't going anywhere. It is one of Deere's best selling models. It will be renumbered (1xxx series) but Deere isn't going to give up sales to Kubota, Yanmar and others in this popular size. The X changes are a little more difficult to guess. October Deere camp is going to be interesting. :)
I agree. I'm very skeptical that JD would try to roll up the X700s and the 2305 into a single (or two) 1000 series tractor(s).

The 2305 is built by Yanmar in Japan. The X700 is built by JD in the U.S. To my knowledge, Yanmar has never merged all-wheel-steer and all-wheel-drive on their scuts. Why would JD just turn over all that know-how to Yanmar? Or, JD would have to bring production of the 2305-successor to the U.S. Doesn't seem likely.

Anyway, thanks for the scuttelbutt, Mowerdude. But it sounds to me like those dealer reps were putting together their fantasy tractor (mine too!) I will be real surprised if their prediction ends up being what we see. Not that I wouldn't mind an affordable, AWS, AWD, scut!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Funny the Base X700 never sold, but in a town of less then 1000 I know there are 4 of us running them and a 5th just a few miles out of town. There are alot of other deere owners in town all of them either have a 318 or 400 series and all are chomping at the bit for an X700.

Personally I'd Love to see the tractor you described myself but and this is a mighty big but. It better be much less then 10K or I'll be buying an old X700 to add a buddy to the one I have now. Selling my wife on anything over 10K to mow with would not fly especially now that I already have the Mighty Mouse.

·
Banned
587 Posts
I have to give John Deere credit on selling X700 series...or lack of it. When I approached JD on a X728, they had an offer/price...$11,880.00, less $300.00 if I would buy before Aug. 2nd. Man!.. what a deal...$300.00 off the suggested price. That what killed the selling bit, was the financing program.
Now, I don't know all the details, but, here is something what I wrote down. The selling price of $11,588.00 with the $300.00 discount, and a deposit of $2,000.00 down...balance $9,588.00, and for the first 12 months..only. And based on 1% of the amount to be financed with a 10.9% APR. After 12 months, payments will be based on 3% of the original transaction amount with 10.9% APR.

Not that I wanted to buy the X728 and to be financed, the salesman wanted to give me the choice...pay cash or finance. After getting home and doing some figures, it appeared the the first 12 months the payment would be like $109.00 month. The second 12 and thereafter the payments would triple. I could get the jest, John Deere didn't sell very many tractors at this type of finance program.

·
6,553 Posts
Paid $11,500.00 for a brand new in the crate 2010 748 with the 62C. Not saying you really wanted a 700 series or not, but if you had your heart set on one, you needed to find another dealer.

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
There is always a bit of truth in any rumor, so I am betting JD stream lines the 700 series to one or two models. Most likely they will fit them in just under the scut money and duty wise and just above the GX series in duty and money. If they make them a niche tractor for those who want more then a GT and less then a SCUT, and keep the models offered limited to two models, I think they will be much better aligned with Kubota etc..

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I wish I could afford a $10K tractor :crybaby: It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe they could offer a diesel engine option for the x500 series?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wish I could afford a $10K tractor :crybaby: It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe they could offer a diesel engine option for the x500 series?
They already did that. It was a 355D and sold very poorly in the US. I had one and liked it. They sold more in Europe where diesel isn't taxed near as much as gas.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey! Maybe now I can get one for CHEAP...

WQe all know that many of you all need the newest model. Gee, if they aren't making it anymore, it musn't be any good. So:

PLEASE GO UPGRADE NOW...before the Fall sales start:thThumbsU

·
6,553 Posts
LOL Bill! :)

ccsial,

Diesel isn't taxed at all if you are using off-road diesel. I pay less for diesel than I do for gas.

·
Registered
948 Posts
LOL Bill! :)

ccsial,

Diesel isn't taxed at all if you are using off-road diesel. I pay less for diesel than I do for gas.
Not every station that sells diesel sells off-road diesel. The closest station to where I live that sells diesel is a ten mile drive. The closest station to where I live that sells off-road diesel is over fifteen miles.

·
6,553 Posts
Stash,

You would think in Iowa of all places, off-road diesel would be plentiful! My local station that sells off-road is 3 miles away, the nearest chain gas station is 7 miles. I'm lucky!

If my local guy ever closes shop I'm not sure where I would get off-road I'd have to do some research.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I went to my local dealership today and asked the manager about the 2011 models. He confirmed that they will turn the x700 series into a SCUT.

·
Super Moderator
16,489 Posts
The X700 series is not dead for 2011 there will be X700 series for 2011 it was not replaced but the 2305 will be replaced by the 1023E and the 1026R the new 1 series tractor's

1023E
22.3Hp
independent Mower lift
Auto connect mower
Auto Hitch
Higher loader lift Capacity

1026R
25.5hp
independent Mower lift
Auto connect mower
Auto Hitch
Higher loader lift Capacity

There will be two new loaders
H120
D120

H120 it will have more features over the D120 Quick Park (similar to 200CX loader) oil Line covers,Mechanical bucket level indicator,and In Base.Quick-Tach carrier with choice of Bucket

D120 is a parkable loader suited to Value minded customer''s who still have Heavy loader needs options are limited to ensure easy ordering,quick delivery and consistent inventory

The H120 and D120 will not be compatiable with the 2305 or 2320,2520 or 2720 tractors

The D120 & H120 loaders have a greater than 25% increase in lift capacity on 1 series tractors over the loader lift capacity on the 2305.

As of the Cincinatti Ohio show the X700 series is still in the 2011 line up effective date on new info 03sept 2010 Hope this clears some of the mis information on the X700 series tractors.:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 39 Posts