My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just bought a used Ruger 10/22 carbine. It is really nice and surprisingly accurate, however about 60% of the time it doen't fire when you pull the trigger. The firing pin marks on the cartridges are very light, difficult to see. I cleaned and oiled the rifle quite thorougly after I bought it and didn't see anything broken or obviously worn. Any suggestions?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Have you removed the barrell and action from the stock and checked for loose screws? That happened to me 30 something years ago. If I remember right, there are 2 allen headed screws that hold the barell to the receiver.

·
Diesel Power
1,604 Posts
The only problem I've ever had with my 10/22 was with Remington ammo. I like Remington ammo in my other guns, but my 10/22 doesn't. If it's not striking the shell hard enough, I'm sure it's something else. Good luck with it, they are great rifles.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check the screws that hold the barrel in place. I tried shooting it with Remington, Federal, and Aguila ammo of which all three work great in my Henry (no surprise there). I got the same results with all three. When it does fire the action works perfectly and accuracy is really good.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I will check the screws that hold the barrel in place. I tried shooting it with Remington, Federal, and Aguila ammo of which all three work great in my Henry (no surprise there). I got the same results with all three. When it does fire the action works perfectly and accuracy is really good.
If it's those two screws I'm thinking of, I'll bet you've got a lot of lead fouling to clean up. I sure did.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
they are a very hard gun to clean and very dirty firing. it needs completely disassembled to be cleaned right. and go very light on oil. it just makes it worse. best 22 ever made, in my opinion. i tear mine down every 4000 rounds or so for cleaning.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
they are a very hard gun to clean and very dirty firing. it needs completely disassembled to be cleaned right. and go very light on oil. it just makes it worse. best 22 ever made, in my opinion. i tear mine down every 4000 rounds or so for cleaning.
Perfect answer :fing32:

My guess is the firing pin is fouled and not getting full travel forward I would do a complete tear down (which is the only way to get all the shipping grease out) and clean the action and barrel.

With it apart you can also see if the barrel is fully seated in the receiver and the retention screws and pins are tight like D-Dog said.

And use oil sparingly.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today before work I switched out the trigger unit betweeen my carbine and my fiance's. I went out for a test fire and fired 40 rounds with no problems. The hammer spring on mine feels alot weaker than the other one so I went ahead and ordered a new one for it. I also looked up the serial number on the Ruger website and found that my carbine was made in 1976, two years before I was born!! No wonder the hammer spring is worn out. The carbine doesn't look like its 34 years old, it must have spent most of its life indoors.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I was going to suggest that maybe some one cut down the spring to make the trigger pull lighter. Most 10-22's have a pretty hard trigger in them. Also, some times on .22's, if they have been dry fired alot, the rim of the chamber will get a "dimple". this makes a little dent into the chamber area, and sometimes will cause the round not to seat fully in the chamber.
Then when you drop the hammer, the force of the firing pin pushes the case instead of denting the rim hard enough to fire. But this usually causes alot of extraction problems as well, and since you aren't having any other problems, it is probably just the hammer spring.
Hope this helps.
Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts