My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New member from Kentucky looking for advise using a 44" blade on an exposed aggregate driveway this winter. We dont get a lot of snow in Louisville, usually 2-3 inches at a time is the norm so not a lot of heavy plowing to do. Does anyone know where I can get a rubber or plastic edge for the blade or have any ideas on making one out of something. Thanks Rob

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,772 Posts
I've seen where some guys have used a piece of old conveyor belt, others have gone to Tractor Supply and purchased the rubber horse stall mats and cut strips from them, they are usually 4ft X 6ft though, so you could use the remainder for something else perhaps or just keep it for replacement. JD actually makes a rubber edge squeegee for their blades, might be another option to check into.

Here's a link to a thread on the same subject, seems the JD blade squeegee is quite expensive, so you'll probably not want to go that route :).
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=156240&highlight=snow+blade+squeege

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I've seen where some guys have used a piece of old conveyor belt, others have gone to Tractor Supply and purchased the rubber horse stall mats and cut strips from them, they are usually 4ft X 6ft though, so you could use the remainder for something else perhaps or just keep it for replacement. JD actually makes a rubber edge squeegee for their blades, might be another option to check into.

Here's a link to a thread on the same subject, seems the JD blade squeegee is quite expensive, so you'll probably not want to go that route :).
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=156240&highlight=snow+blade+squeege
I am considering a piece of stall mat. I'd be making edges for 3 blades, so it's fairly cost effective to buy one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I made one last year. Mine was cut out of some reinforced rubber strips. I'm not sure what the material was originally intended for, but I scored it from the dumpster at work. It's about 3/8" thick and looks like conveyor belt material.
On mine, I used two layers of the material under the steel cutting edge. Picture a sandwich of the steel cutting blade, then two layers of the belting, then the plow blade. I used two layers so it would act like a floor squeegee. I positioned the holes in the rubber such that the lower rubber edge is about 1.5 inches below the steel. Needed longer blade bolts, of course.
You have to break the edge in by pushing it around on dry pavement. After that it works well and provides a really clean surface without scaring up the driveway.
If you can get your hands on some thick HMW or UHMW plastic to use as a cutting edge, I think that would work even better.
I've seen where others have used casters behind the blade to support the cutting edge just about the driveway surface. That requires some welding, so I elected to go with the rubber edge.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Its really a great idea, I have a piece of 2" thick rubber on my Case 430 farm tractors blade and it helps keep from tearing up the lawn at the edges saving a lot of back breaking labor come spring feathering it all back in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A urethane edge would be best.I have used them on my plow truck for several years.Works nice on stone drives.
I get them from a place that sells them by the foot.Last time i got them a four foot section was $70 shipped.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Hi Guys,

New member from Kentucky... Thanks Rob
Hey Rob, welcome to the forum, I am representing KY too, just 80 miles up the road. Hope you get your plow figured out, please forgive me but I am hoping we get a lot of snow this season, I would love to give my snowcaster a good workout. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
379 Posts
Made one out of an old gym mat, 'bout 1" thick, set up looked like sonny T's.
It does wear fast, I got three good snowfalls out of it before I had to flip it.
Using it on a gravel/paved/stamped concrete drive. Worked well. Then I added something stiffer. tried some of the recycled bed edging stacked up. I think it's around $1/ft, and Wallyworld sells it in 20' rolls. It wore a little better than the rubber.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a High-density polyethylene (HDPE) or polyethylene high-density (PEHD) board under my SB48 snowblower for the cutting edge. I have seen them used on 4x4 truck snowplows as cutting edges also. This will be the 6th season of use and there has not been much wear on the board. It sells at http://www.mcmaster.com for around $15/foot depending on thickness

·
Registered
208 Posts
I checked out the McMaster-Carr site. For a plow edge, you could try something 4" wide by 3/4" thick. Sells for $11.90/ft. You would have to buy 5 feet for a 54" plow so you would be looking at $60 before shipping in my example. Here's a link to the info I got: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3567/=9sdybe

Dang, it's already up to $15.25 a foot. How much better would this stuff be than the John Deere black rubber one?

I have to admit that it would look nicer.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
All I did was go to my local AT/ UTV dealer, and ordered one of these- works great, around 60 bucks with bolts. It's not rubber, but is a nylon like material.

With 1 full season of plowing with it on gravel, hardpack, ice, and asphalt we are real happy for the money spent.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use the horse stall mat from tsc and it works great I sandwich inbetween the steel edge

·
Registered
259 Posts
Try pipe

I made a different kind of edge for a guy that has a loose stone drive, I used a piece of pipe, just cut it down the weld seam and it opened up as i was cutting along, didnt have to do any widening, beveled the slit a little, drove it on with a hammer, it was nice and tite, I welded on a small piece of chain and bolted it to the top of the blade, It work good for loose stone drives, and rode well over soft ground, If you need a sharp edge for packed snow you can pop it off pretty quick, Also you could use a small chain binder cliped to the top of the blade for faster install, removal :trink39: Eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.