My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've got a 1953 Lawn-Boy with an A engine on it, no recoil on it. It's pretty good, runs, but the deck is in bad shape..

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering about RPM mowers...before Lawn-Boy bought them out. Yours is probably like mine, mine says Lawn-Boy on the deck but RPM on the tag.

Surely they were making rotary mowers when LB bought them or thier name wouldn't make any sense, lol.

Oldest rotary I have is the 1952 Monark Silver King Majestic 18" Rotomatic. 52-53 has got to be getting into some of the first rotary mowers in the USA. Except for some one-off versions and such.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm just very curious, I can't find a pure RPM mower mentioned anywhere and it seems they were made for several years before LB bought them in 1952

1946: Joel G. (Jack) Doyle built the first rotary lawnmower for the Rotary Power Mower Company of Kansas City, Missouri. Doyle accumulated large orders for these mowers from Sears Roebuck, Gambles, Spiegel, and other businesses. Evidently, the demand for this machine was thriving.

1952: OMMC purchased Rotary Power Mower Company, located in Lamar, Missouri. OMMC then changed the brand of that mower to one that they already owned Lawn-Boy. The RPM facility was converted to production line manufacturing in order to meet the large orders demanded by retailers such as Sears Roebuck and Spiegel. This style of production was the first of its kind for walk power mowers.

1956: The corporate name changed to Outboard Marine Corporation. Lawn-Boy took the lead in the production and marketing of walk power mowers through independent retailers.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've seen the occasional Monarch and Sears mower, but not one that was RPM only.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used to have an early Craftsman mower that from what I've been reading was made by RPM for Sears. 2 HP Power Products engine on it. Nice little machine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's the one! Mine had red wheels, and since it was sitting in a barn for probably about 40 years before I got it, it wasn't really in that bad of shape. Only real problem was the muffler was completely rusted away, and I never did find one that fit, so it was a bit loud. When mowing it wasn't bad since the grass, etc. muffled it a bit, but on pavement, it had quite the crackle to it.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These wheels are probably red under the white oxidized stuff, lol. I keep forgetting to bring this one out of the basement and try to get it running. Haven't messed with it since I got it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts