My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reclaimed a section of my property that had not been mowed for probably 4 years. There were some large thorny bushes scattered around. Nothing the mower couldn't handle, but they had pretty developed roots, so they keep sending up shoots the re-establish themselves. Last time I waited until they developed leaves, then hit them with Roundup. That seems to have done the job, but now I have small circles of dead grass in each spot from overspray.

My question is, when is it safe to reapply seed to those spots? I am told Roundup degrades pretty quickly in the open air and doesn't stay in the soil. Should I put down seed yet this fall, or wait until the spring? If I do it now, I don't want to wait much longer.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
You can do it now. If I had some rain I would be over-seeding my yard. Lost a lot of Fescue this summer.:crybaby:

·
Registered
869 Posts
snip-they had pretty developed roots, so they keep sending up shoots the re-establish themselves. Last time I waited until they developed leaves, then hit them with Roundup.

That seems to have done the job, but now I have small circles of dead grass in each spot from overspray.

My question is, when is it safe to reapply seed to those spots? I am told Roundup degrades pretty quickly in the open air and doesn't stay in the soil. Should I put down seed yet this fall, or wait until the spring? If I do it now, I don't want to wait much longer.

From my reading, the half life of R/U can vary from 24 days to a year depending on the environment (soil, humidity, water, etc)

Also - you should be able to plant as R/U is not taken up by the root systems of developing plants

This info is from here -
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/glyphos.pdf

There are other sites that seem to warn about it's use but this is a govt publication and has been reviewed and comes with sources and citations = more reliable info.

I will tell you a simpler way for the future. I take about an oz or two (full strength) in a disposable container and "paint" the R/U onto the cut stems of the briars. I have stopped the re-growth of Poison Ivy, Briars, Sassafras and several other nuisance plants. Yeah, it's tedious beyond belief but it's the best way I've found. Once and done.

I've read everything I can about R/U. I don't trust anyone about it. I wear Nitrile gloves under leather gloves when applying it, I use disposable brushes and containers, I wrap all disposables in newspaper, bag and tape it when I'm going to discard it.

I've spent the majority of the past three years trying to resurrect my wife's family's former "farm" here in the northeast. I used to clear brush on my families land as a kid. When it comes to clearing brush, I have experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts