My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just got a 1974 Case 444 with mower and blade. What an incredible little machine. When I bought it about 2 weeks ago I wondered why the headlights were missing. Chuckle chuckle from you guys... After much research and looking at Ebay now do I see why. I don't know if I want to fork out $70 for speaker 777 take offs. My understanding is that the light output still may not be super good anyway... Would my tractor look funny with round lights?

So I have discovered that 4.5" round PAR36 style halogens used in some other garden tractors and utility rigs are widely available in lots of options, and very affordable at about $7 a piece. I found this surface mount ring which may even allow me to not cut/drill my pristine hood.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this? I do appreciate keeping things original, but I also value functionality and practicality of replacement. Any other options short of mounting a worklight on a fender? Which I still may do. I could rubber mount it so I'd think it would hold up to the vibes... Any other observations from anyone here?

Parts I was thinking of are below.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/3015/PAR36-113532.html?clickid=0004b81681cd453e0a42fdc498b02c2f.

http://www.responderpse.com/d168-Par36-Surface-Mount-Flange-Chrome.htm

And one last question: 15A starter generator, what is the safest load you have put on them with lights and electrical components?

Thanks a bunch

Ben, bbob

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Hi all, I just got a 1974 Case 444 with mower and blade. What an incredible little machine. When I bought it about 2 weeks ago I wondered why the headlights were missing. Chuckle chuckle from you guys... After much research and looking at Ebay now do I see why. I don't know if I want to fork out $70 for speaker 777 take offs. My understanding is that the light output still may not be super good anyway... Would my tractor look funny with round lights?

So I have discovered that 4.5" round PAR36 style halogens used in some other garden tractors and utility rigs are widely available in lots of options, and very affordable at about $7 a piece. I found this surface mount ring which may even allow me to not cut/drill my pristine hood.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this? I do appreciate keeping things original, but I also value functionality and practicality of replacement. Any other options short of mounting a worklight on a fender? Which I still may do. I could rubber mount it so I'd think it would hold up to the vibes... Any other observations from anyone here?

Parts I was thinking of are below.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/3015/PAR36-113532.html?clickid=0004b81681cd453e0a42fdc498b02c2f.

http://www.responderpse.com/d168-Par36-Surface-Mount-Flange-Chrome.htm

And one last question: 15A starter generator, what is the safest load you have put on them with lights and electrical components?

Thanks a bunch

Ben, bbob
Please don't do this.

This tractor is a Desert Sunset/Power Red tractor and believe it or not its design comes directly from its big brother the Case Agri King also known as the 70 series that has remained even to this day.

The previous Colt/Case line used the round headlamps but in order to use them for this application you will have to butcher the hood, it won't look right and will damage the historical value of your tractor.

Your tractor used Speaker 777's and I know a source for some NOS lenses if you decide to go that way, just PM me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Please don't do this.

This tractor is a Desert Sunset/Power Red tractor and believe it or not its design comes directly from its big brother the Case Agri King also known as the 70 series that has remained even to this day.

The previous Colt/Case line used the round headlamps but in order to use them for this application you will have to butcher the hood, it won't look right and will damage the historical value of your tractor.

Your tractor used Speaker 777's and I know a source for some NOS lenses if you decide to go that way, just PM me.
I wholeheartedly agree...don't ruin this tractor!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Caseguy I will probably be PM'ing you about lenses. I need buckets too.

The last thing I want to do is butcher this tractor. My intention is to use it as a working tractor and I will carefully think through any work I do to it with respect the original character. My idea with the round lights was that I wouldn't even need to cut the hood. The mounts were flush mount. I have also seen wheel horse tractors that had rectangular slots with these round bulbs mounted behind. It would just require a simple retainer from behind and would look no different from original from the outside. I was even thinking of using all the same screw holes.

I have seen people add foot motion control, non original valve setups, engines and pumps which to me take away from the historical character, but to me this isn't a bad thing if your intention is to have something more than a showpiece. Actually the mods some people do to me are a work of art.

Is there more of a negative view towards doing these mods to my particular serial break?

thanks, Ben

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Caseguy I will probably be PM'ing you about lenses. I need buckets too.

The last thing I want to do is butcher this tractor. My intention is to use it as a working tractor and I will carefully think through any work I do to it with respect the original character. My idea with the round lights was that I wouldn't even need to cut the hood. The mounts were flush mount. I have also seen wheel horse tractors that had rectangular slots with these round bulbs mounted behind. It would just require a simple retainer from behind and would look no different from original from the outside. I was even thinking of using all the same screw holes.

I have seen people add foot motion control, non original valve setups, engines and pumps which to me take away from the historical character, but to me this isn't a bad thing if your intention is to have something more than a showpiece. Actually the mods some people do to me are a work of art.

Is there more of a negative view towards doing these mods to my particular serial break?

thanks, Ben
Ben, I understand where your coming from however speaking from experience - you are new to the Case world and over time these things have a tendency of multiplying.

I had never started out to be a collector - it took on a life of its own and now look back on some of the things I have done to my tractors and want to throw up.

Even though this will be a work tractor my advice is to not do something that you will regret later on and leave yourself the option (or possibly its next owner) to fully restore this tractor should you decide to do so later on down the road. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Bob, Welcome to the forum. :MTF_wel2:

PAR36 sealed beam light bulbs are ideal for night vision work and an ideal choice for fender mounting to see while backing up in reverse.

Something you will probably come to discover on these open forum sites, is the majority of the guys don't mean any harm, but they are collectors and want an "original" tractor as a "bulletin board advertisement for their brand.

I however think like you seem to. I re-designed my tractor to suit my needs, and it turned extremelly well for me. i wouldn't dream of someone destroying a tractor if they were in the business of collecting and preserving. but a tractor is a tractor, and these little jems are just that.

You do what you want, and know there are people on this site that actually work with these tractors and like to see improvements where it is faisable.

I wish you luck, if you are planning on coming on this forum for advise, as there are a LOT of opinions. (there should be, These tractors are the top of the GT's as far as I'm concerned.)

Good Luck

Jay :trink39:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I dont see anything wrong with mounting a par36 behind the original openings. However there may be easier ways to improve the lighting that would work better. I was starting to look into an LED upgrade a few weeks back and started a thread here in the Case section. I have not had time to actually start on this mod, but there was some great advice from a few guys in the thread. I think a stock lens with a high output LED would be an easier and more effective upgrade.
I like Jayvee dont see anything wrong with modifying the tractors (within reason). I have one I plan to restore strictly stock and another I will use as a working tractor that may receive a few tastefull "upgrades".
Good luck

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Bob, Welcome to the forum. :MTF_wel2:

PAR36 sealed beam light bulbs are ideal for night vision work and an ideal choice for fender mounting to see while backing up in reverse.

Something you will probably come to discover on these open forum sites, is the majority of the guys don't mean any harm, but they are collectors and want an "original" tractor as a "bulletin board advertisement for their brand.

I however think like you seem to. I re-designed my tractor to suit my needs, and it turned extremelly well for me. i wouldn't dream of someone destroying a tractor if they were in the business of collecting and preserving. but a tractor is a tractor, and these little jems are just that.

You do what you want, and know there are people on this site that actually work with these tractors and like to see improvements where it is faisable.

I wish you luck, if you are planning on coming on this forum for advise, as there are a LOT of opinions. (there should be, These tractors are the top of the GT's as far as I'm concerned.)

Good Luck

Jay :trink39:
BLASPHAMY!!!!!.........but I agree with you completely. Modify away, make them even better and more useful.:Orange_tr

·
Did you see that?
411 Posts
Your tractor your call. But opinions are coming out so I feel like it is okay to throw mine out here too...
First do not screw up something that has lasted for the past 40 years...
Second if you are doing night work, there are several viable alternatives to exterior mounted lights which would provide superior lighting...
Third if you mess with the tractor you're gonna cut into your 'value'...

again my opinion, your tractor your call...

Good Luck,
NutCASE

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
You should be able to make the PAR36 lenses work with the stock hood cutouts. My sears suburban has rectangular hood cutouts like your case - in fact most suburbans did. They have par36 lenses behind them however. If you can somehow use the original holes to mount the lenses, even if you have to make some sort of adaptor bracket, it should work fine.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Your tractor your call. But opinions are coming out so I feel like it is okay to throw mine out here too...
First do not screw up something that has lasted for the past 40 years...
Second if you are doing night work, there are several viable alternatives to exterior mounted lights which would provide superior lighting...
Third if you mess with the tractor you're gonna cut into your 'value'...

again my opinion, your tractor your call...

Good Luck,
NutCASE
I agree with you, I remember when I first got my new to me 224, it was refered as the One eyed beast, it had a cut out front hood and an rectangle automotive beam in there, and the guy had pulled back the tins, to drill a mounting hole for the new light.

If you end up installing a new system or a fix to the original. try and keep it simple and good looking in apearance.

Me, I have now 2 little 55W's on either sides of my hood as a result, cause I have no front to my hood.

What ever you do, please keep us posted, and remember :wwp:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.