My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:greendr: Hi ya , I'm new to this site . I'm not an owner of any Big Tractors I've owned and been working on several smaller - Antique and older Walk behind Garden Tractors and Tillers and Misc. machines etc. for about 45 yrs.
I've repaired just about every thing with a motor on it.
I was looking around on the web for some parts and advice regarding a KUBOTA AT70S Walk behind tiller . I came upon this site and saw some of the members have some smaller machines too . Maybe someone can help me out or I might be able to help some of you ? The main thing I collect is Vintage Diving items,- Hard Hat, and Double hose regs. + related items .
Greetings to all of you ! Don - Ca. USA :00000062:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Welcome to MTF, Don glad to have you here. Some one here will be able to help with your Kubota. There is alot of knowledgeable people on here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks a lot everyone !, After digging around a bit on this site I found your Tiller section . I recently bought a 1989- 90 KUBOTA AT70S tiller at a Yard sale for $50.00. It looks almost like new and is 99.9% complete . It was froze up . The owners mentioned that they left it outside all winter uncovered . Somehow water had filled the fuel tank up to the top . I was a bit worried about looking under the head . I flushed and shook the gas tank until all the loose rusty Muck was out .The Gas Tank fuel level float unit seal was a bit loose so water might have gotten into the tank through there ? . I cleaned up the fuel level indicator and glued it in place with some special type of Epoxy type sealant that is supposedly -impervious to gas, I Hope . Luckily the fuel control lever was switched to off. so I don't think any water got into the carb , I don't know I haven't opened it up yet .Plus the motor oil looks clean . I dumped in a good shot of Marvel mystry oil and some shutterstat lubricating fluid, plus a bit of penetrating fluid down the spark plug hole . I let it marinate a couple a days and it turned right over . Actually I really don't think it was the piston or valves that had seized the motor up . I think it was just a small rock or all the dirt and pebbles under the flywheel ,binding it up. I kept hearing strange rubbing grinding sounds under the flywheel ,and no spark . I pulled the flywheel off and cleaned it all out . I pulled the head off and it polished up like brand new . No pitting or water damage . No ridge plus the valves etc. all look perfect . Although I kept hearing and feeling tiny bit of rubbing under the flywheel so I cleaned the rust off of everything filed the rust off the magnets and the coil core . Then sprayed a little black spray paint on the coil + the inner flywheel magnets etc. I spun it over a few times and checked it again . I could see where the flywheel weights were rubbing against the coil core . I loosened the coil bolts and moved it back a tiny bit . No more rubbing but still no spark ?
I had an idea that maybe they had bent the crank ? But I spun it and the flywheel turns pretty true. I just thought that maybe they hit or ran into something ? tore the Starter recoil up and maybe bent the crank a tiny bit . ?
This GS280 has electronic ignition so I'd bet it's the electronic ignition control unit . I ordered a couple of manuals on ebay and Amazon and I'm just starting to check it all out . I need to get out there with the OHM meter and check all the readings and the connections etc.
I was wondering if any of you might have ,or know of someone that has any used or dead Kubota AT70S or AT70SE tillers in their pile of misc. stuff ?. I have the basic shroud I need the complete Recoil starting unit for the GS280 - Cover, Rope ,and rewind spring . I could start it with just a rope but a recoil unit would be much nicer. Plus I need the cover that goes over the hole in the middle of the gas tank that covers the spark plug area. I probably need another Electronic ignition control unit too. Several of the local Lawn mower and Small engine shops have just recently thrown out all of their old used - dead equiptment .
I'm on SSI Disibility after a really bad wreck . I just can't afford to spend a lot of money on brand new parts . So if I could find some of these things used it would help me out . Any ideas or tips to some used parts would surely be appreaciated . I can afford some dough but I just can't afford to pay too much to get this thing going.
Thanks a lot, Don - [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts