My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an inexpensive rear tine tiller (forward rotation tines) that I have a couple problems with. First, it did not come with a "shoe" to go on the depth control rod. I've tried fabricating several of them but they aren't working very well. Wondering if anyone has a tiller where the depth control foot works nicely and if you could post a photo of it so that I can make something similar.

Secondly, I have hard clay soil and even though I used a single bottom plow in the garden earlier this year, I am having issues with the tines grabbing, lifting the wheels off the ground, and the tiller taking off across the garden. I haven't lost any plants yet, but came close. I'm thinking of adding some weight to the front of the tiller, but have no idea how much I need before it helps. Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you get things worked out.

Thanks for the help.
--Rick

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I have a 5hp, 14", rear tine Craftsman. It has about 10 lbs. of weight in front of the engine. The 'shoe' is very rudimentary. It's a runner on the end of the depth rod about 1" x 5".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts