My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tiller for a GT. Not sure of the brand. But I want to mount it to my craftsman 6000.

I have never seen the correct way to do this.
I can Fab about anything I want,,mounting it is not a problem. Tractor has a rear lift, no problem there.

Proper way to run the belt is a problem. Has a electric clutch,,horizontal pulley just below the engine.

My question: How do I run the belt??

I don't think it is a good idea to have a direct belt running from PTO to tiller. Shouldn't there be a clutch or something to take the pressure off the PTO?? (In case of a overload on the tiller,,,rock,,,root,ect)

I do have a set of pulleys on a bracket to re-route the belt(to get correct angle to tiller) but they are mounted solid.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
Most tractors that had rear tillers that ran off belts had a pulley on the transmission or the rear of the tractor for the tiller. I don't know any of the Craftsmans in that year range, or any for that matter with the exception maybe of the FF series that has a tractor powered Tiller- Sears always sold two behind, or 3 point ones with motors on the tillers

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most tractors that had rear tillers that ran off belts had a pulley on the transmission or the rear of the tractor for the tiller. I don't know any of the Craftsmans in that year range, or any for that matter with the exception maybe of the FF series that has a tractor powered Tiller- Sears always sold two behind, or 3 point ones with motors on the tillers
Ya,,,I don't have any of that.

I don't see any reason I can't run it off the engine on tractor.There's got to be a way to do it.

I need to look at the tiller and see if there are shear pins on it. Or if some type of pressure relief.

The last thing I want to do is wreck my engine PTO. I don't know if the belt would slip or break before doing damage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Since it is a belt, you might be able to route a Belt Tensioner (like an automotive one, from a boneyard.) then you could, with trial and error most likely "pre-set" a "slip point" in case you hit a non tillable object, like a meteroite or alien spaceship wingtip for example.
:thThumbsU

In theory if you strike one of the above objects then the belt would slip like an auto clutch?

just an idea

·
Super Moderator
17,718 Posts
There was a 21inch Belt driven PTO tiller for Craftsman Tractor Until the early 1990's about 94 and it was Run Vie the Electric PTO actually a Lot of the early Garden tractors Had Tillers That were Belt driven Off the Front PTO and the 21inch PTO sold for Craftsman was a Frame Mounted Tiller Meaning it did Not require a Sleeve Hitch Or a 3point To Raise and Lower the tiller:thThumbsU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts