My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With spring in the near future I've started thinking about using my "new-ish" roto hoe 500. It has grate bars but not the optional 1/2 or 3/4" screens. What size screen works best? Would going to 1/2" make too long of grind time?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Jon,

I took the bars off mine and replaced them with a section of shaped ( to match the opening ) expanded metal as the bars allowed long thin material to exit the processing chamber.

If you can find the "proper" 1/2 inch screen could you post a photo...I've never seen any optional screens.

Have you visited Roto-Hoe 500 800 2000 Series Chipper Shredder Owners and Parts Manual ?

Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual mentions 1/2” and 3/4” optional (perforated) screens. I didn’t know how long it would take to break material down to fit through the smaller holes. There are listings on eBay for different screens for other chippers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe I missed something: you haven't used the machine?

You are in for a treat. Wear ear and eye protection and leather gloves. And Ear Protection and Eye Protection. Maybe a hard hat, but do wear a hat.

If you need a specific size of material I would suggest sifting the resultant material, as shredding or chipping is Not An Exact Science.

The challenge of this shredder/chipper is to feed it dry leaves ( to avoid jamming ) and fresh cut limbs ( to avoid damage to your hands as you feed the chipper ).

One other challenge: have a lot of material to process as this machine is very productive!

Tom

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it in the fall, swapped out the junk 2hp Briggs with a 4 or 5 hp tecumseh from a snowblower. I was surprised at how loud it is. You definitely need to respect the machine. It only ran a short time before other projects and snow got in the way. It only has the flat bars in the bottom and twigs of varying sizes will pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts