My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a roto-hoe 500 that seems complete. The engine looks like it could be an original but seems a little small and might be underpowered. It’s a Briggs 60102 which looks to be a 2 HP model. Did they offer the roto-hoe in different hp versions or do you think someone swapped this in so as to look complete? IF I get the engine running will 2 HP be anemic?

Thanks for any advice,
Jon

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the link. I also assumed it should be 5 hp but from my past research of roto-hoe it seems that they cut many corners to keep their prices low. I don’t know how true it is but I think I read part of the unit is made by Mackissic (mighty Mac) so some parts May be available.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I found mine on craigslist I was both surprised and happy.

About a week later I found another for less money with four wheels.

Didn't see another for years...not many leaf dropping trees out in the Great North Wet.

Most parts are common sourced, bearings and belts.

Sharpen the chipper blades and clean your screens, and you should be good to go. Hammers hammer do not cut so why would you sharpen them?

Don't try to reverse the motor and thus the hammers rotation...doesn't work at all. Don't ask how I know.

Yes the Mackissic parts fit.

Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what is the point of having optional screen sizes on the roto hoe 500 if the gaps on the grate bars are larger than the holes?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Since this machine does pretty well on pine cones, maybe the designers wanted to separate different size particles for a wall mural?

I saved the bars when I replaced them with a bent piece of expanded metal. You never know when a "collector" will want them!

Hope it runs well for you.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts