My Tractor Forum banner

Rotary plow - broken?

1866 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Richard-tx
Has anyone ever broken a rotary plow drive? I mean that so much force was applied to it that either a shaft broke or the case cracked.

I had a rotary plow drive here that the case was cracked and I am still trying to figure out how that happened.
Has anyone ever broken a rotary plow drive? I mean that so much force was applied to it that either a shaft broke or the case cracked.

I had a rotary plow drive here that the case was cracked and I am still trying to figure out how that happened.
See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I caught a burried 6" steel pipe with mine one time. It made the whole gravely l jump sideways and almost threw the handle bars into my side. Scared the crap out of me but didn't do a thing to the rotary plow...I was amazed
I caught a burried 6" steel pipe with mine one time. It made the whole gravely l jump sideways and almost threw the handle bars into my side. Scared the crap out of me but didn't do a thing to the rotary plow...I was amazed
See more
Any evidence someone dropped it a long way down onto a hard surface, or does it appear to be internally generated?
Any evidence someone dropped it a long way down onto a hard surface, or does it appear to be internally generated?
See more
Maybe got water inside the case if it was sitting outside or in damp place, froze, ice expanded, and cracked.
Maybe got water inside the case if it was sitting outside or in damp place, froze, ice expanded, and cracked.
See more
I had the casting brake but it was on the rotory cultivator, I picked up a stone with the tangs and wedged it between them and the cover and the slip clutch did not slip. I had it on a 5460 when that happened, but not with a rotory plow. I have hit tree roots stones and big rocks. Even when I had it on my rider it made the tractor dance but that was all.
I had the casting brake but it was on the rotory cultivator, I picked up a stone with the tangs and wedged it between them and the cover and the slip clutch did not slip. I had it on a 5460 when that happened, but not with a rotory plow. I have hit tree roots stones and big rocks. Even when I had it on my rider it made the tractor dance but that was all.
See more
The pressure was definitely from the inside out.
The pressure was definitely from the inside out.
See more
canadian's story makes me wonder if a gear tooth or two broke off inside, then got wedged between the gear and the casing and broke the casing.

I just hit a 3 or 4 inch root the other day with mine on the rider several times and it just kind of made everything jump around.

When I bought my rotary plow the PO said that when he bought it in 1986 the county road crews were using them to edge newly laid asphalt. I think they ran the plow along the side or in the curb to dress up the runny edges into straight ones. Dayum.
See less
canadian's story makes me wonder if a gear tooth or two broke off inside, then got wedged between the gear and the casing and broke the casing.

I just hit a 3 or 4 inch root the other day with mine on the rider several times and it just kind of made everything jump around.

When I bought my rotary plow the PO said that when he bought it in 1986 the county road crews were using them to edge newly laid asphalt. I think they ran the plow along the side or in the curb to dress up the runny...
See more
The gears were good. I found another casting and rebuilt the drive.
The gears were good. I found another casting and rebuilt the drive.
See more
Was there any evidence of water present?
Was there any evidence of water present?
See more
To be honest, I haven't seen one yet that didn't have evidence of water in it.

Here is one.

And another

I don't have any pictures of the third one.
See less
To be honest, I haven't seen one yet that didn't have evidence of water in it.

Here is one.

And another

I don't have any pictures of the third one.
See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.