My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First questions from new member and soon to be John Deere owner (yes, my first)

As I noted in my intro, I will be taking delivery of my x748 in a couple of weeks. Primary use will be mowing around the homestead and tilling garden areas. However, I have a couple of pastures that I have mowed a couple of times a year – they are pretty flat and primarily high grass. Problem is that the rocks seem to flourish between mowings and I don’t want to bang up the 7 Iron deck. So, I want to get a shredder to mow these pastures. I have seen videos of the x748 with a JD 403 and maybe a 413 and a few other similar sized GTs with LX4 and even some 5 ft mowers. My question is what should I be looking for with this machine? I will have the front heavy weight bracket so I can put up to 9 suitcase wts for ballast. What is the weight limit on the rear 3 pt? I have read some about the JD Implement Codes – does JD establish a code for their GT’s?

I am not too worried about lift height given the layout of the land and such. Can this machine handle a JD LX5? I see a lot of 5 ft mowers around, not so many 4 ft.

When I bought the machine I asked the dealer about the Frontier 4 ft mowers and he simply replied “not listed as compatible so I can’t sell it as part of the package”. He did not say the machine could not handle it or make any other suggestions – maybe legal disclaimer concerns we see all the time these days. But I know a lot of folks successfully run shredders on this type of machine, especially with the diesel torque.

Thanks for your input – I will probably have more questions as the info pours in!

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
Deere made the 7-Iron for the rough stuff. You're not going to bang it up. If it were me, I'd use it. You'll finish faster anyhow with the 60" mower vs. a 48"

·
Registered
131 Posts
Deere made the 7-Iron for the rough stuff. You're not going to bang it up. If it were me, I'd use it. You'll finish faster anyhow with the 60" mower vs. a 48"
+1 My F680 had a 7 iron deck. I'm pretty sure it's bullet proof....literally.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I see where the OP is coming from here. He wants to use his 7 iron for nice finish cut mowing....and a bush hog style mower for the rough stuff. I can see the hassle in banging your good mower blades up in a rocky pasture then having to sharpen blades ect for mowing your nice areas. Besides if you have the money for both then why not?

I don't really know much about the rotary mowers for a X7 tractor. Personally if it were me I would just buy a old ford tractor with a 5 or 6ft bush hog. They can be bought pretty cheap..probably cheaper than buying a mower alone for the X7. Would do a good job and save alot of wear and tear on the new JD

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I'd buy a 4 foot and go to town, nothing bigger. Save your MMM deck

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Try Not to exceed the weight of a LX4 which is about 415Lbs In any 4ft You Get. I occasionally run a LX4 on the Back of a X495(Older Version of X740) and it Handles it well Cutting about and Make sure any 4ft does not require More than 18 PTO horse Power Because your Tractor has a 18Hp PTO, Because you will get bad Performance out of a Rotary Cutter that require more Than 18 PTO Horse power:thThumbsU

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks - I am trying to locate a LX4 - seems to be a good fit. There seem to be some in the North Country, not so much down here in the South :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts