My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rotary Cutter Size New Holland TZ24DA

Hello,

We have just acquired a 2004 New TZ24DA for our farm. We have 60 acres but only 5 or 6 acres are bottom land, rolling, etc. for the tractor (to mow, etc). I need to buy a rotary cutter for it, but am confused on the size. The dealer suggested a 3 foot, someone else said a 42 inch, while another said it should handle a 4 foot fine. My friend suggested that I buy one at least as wide as the rear tire span (48 inches) so that the cut would be as wide as the tires. Already, we have a 60 inch belly mower on it. I need the rotary cutter for the rougher cutting. Some of our terrain is hillside and slope so I don't want to buy a cutter that the tractor will struggle to pull up the hills/slopes. Our tractor has hydrostatic with 4wd.

What would be the best size of rotary cutter to buy (3 foot, 4 foot or 42 inches)? Is there a particular weight/size of cutter that I should be staying under?

Thank you.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel: and enjoy the forum. I would imagine the 4ft would do you just fine. slkpk

·
Banned
330 Posts
Kinda a rule is 5 tractor hp to ft of cutter,so 25 hp tractor 5 ft cutter,but than you gotta take into account tractor and pto hp are different[pto being lower] than the fact that hst takes a hp or two right there.

What hp is your tractor,24? sounds like you could use a 4 ft,but not fimilar with your tractor,[didn't know they even made three ft brushhogs.]:drunkie:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Kinda a rule is 5 tractor hp to ft of cutter,so 25 hp tractor 5 ft cutter,but than you gotta take into account tractor and pto hp are different[pto being lower] than the fact that hst takes a hp or two right there.

What hp is your tractor,24? sounds like you could use a 4 ft,but not fimilar with your tractor,[didn't know they even made three ft brushhogs.]:drunkie:
Yes, it is a 24 hp and the PTO hp is 18. Yes, there are 3 footers but they're actually more expensive than 4 foot (probably because of less demand). Someone else told me they're often used with 2 cylinder engines (ours is 3 cylinder).

Thanks again.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well I bet a 4 ft light duty king kutter would work for you,if it was a little to much in tall thick stuff[grass/weeds] you could just not take a full bite the second time around[just cut 3 ft instead of 4]:drunkie:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Or, with the HST just slow down the ground speed. I run a 5' landpride on a 30 tractor H.P. kubota. it works fine, but the occasional hidden fence post will slow it down some.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts