My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Roper GT18 with the sloped rear hitch plate AND a 3-point hitch for the vertical plate.

The rear hitch plate is bolted to the frame - could I convert my Roper to a vertical plate if I can find one of would there be other problems like the 3-point hitch control lever interfering with the body?

Are there any advantages to the vertical plate? more available attachments?

Or I could trade someone but these parts are just to crazy rare to hope for that one.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts
Post pictures- I've never seen a vertical plate 3 point hitch- maybe you have a sleeve hitch?

I have seen some use washers or steel blocks to space an incorrect 3 point hitch or sleeve hitch out to work on an older sears

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Roper GT18 Sloped Rear Hitch Plate Convert to Vertical?

Here are some pics. The hitch bracket cannot match back plate holes because fuel tank body too low. The lift tabs on the bracket shaft cannot rotate vertically due to tank too low.

https://imgur.com/KxWZNIJ
https://imgur.com/4G27FqR
NOTE: the above URL's do not work with Insert Image.

NOTE: found a link where someone built intermediate brackets to mount his 3-point. (not sure if mine is identical to his.)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts
if you want to use that 3 point hitch lift plate on that tractor you're gonna have to make your own adapter kit. That is the mid year sears 3 point hitch (1968-1975) and they never had a kit to make that work on newer machines. If you found a newer style black sears 3 point hitch, they did make an adapter plate to adapt them, and the lift handles were bent differently to clear flat fenders on newer machines. But I have only seen 1 such adapter ever, and I have been collecting sears for close to 10 years.

those tractors had optional sleeve hitches that were made to be a direct bolt on, and I bet even much newer sleeve hitches would work on that tractor.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts
Sears.com

this is a new one - they can be found on craigslist or ebay all the time

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GT_80,

That Sears adapter, is there any chance to find a pic of it?

I guess to design an adapter, start with getting the lift handle in a workable position.

My initial guess is to make the tractor back plate vertical and rearward enough to not be under the flat fenders.

I was also thinking that the current sloped back plate is of no use so one way to accomplish this vertical location is to unbolt the back plate and weld extensions to it's sides, drill new bolt holes and bolt onto the frame rails.

I ran across a thread w/pics of a fellow who fabbed an adapter for a Sears that had the slopped mount. But I think he kept it slopped and just translated the hitch rearward.

I guess the main point at this stage is the knowledge that there are no parts to scrounge - it has to be a mod.

Since I'm in the middle of reroofing my house solo, and will take at least 2 more months to complete, this project will be on hold for a good while.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts
GT_80,

That Sears adapter, is there any chance to find a pic of it?

I guess to design an adapter, start with getting the lift handle in a workable position.

My initial guess is to make the tractor back plate vertical and rearward enough to not be under the flat fenders.

I was also thinking that the current sloped back plate is of no use so one way to accomplish this vertical location is to unbolt the back plate and weld extensions to it's sides, drill new bolt holes and bolt onto the frame rails.

I ran across a thread w/pics of a fellow who fabbed an adapter for a Sears that had the slopped mount. But I think he kept it slopped and just translated the hitch rearward.

I guess the main point at this stage is the knowledge that there are no parts to scrounge - it has to be a mod.

Since I'm in the middle of reroofing my house solo, and will take at least 2 more months to complete, this project will be on hold for a good while.
Do you have sears 3 point implements you want to use on your tractor or are you just wanting a hitch and will get rear implements later?

What you have right now will require a lot of work to push it further back off the tractor, and the sears 3 points used a "cam over" locking design to hold the implements up- the angle of the sears rear hitch plate is critical to holding attachments up- if you make the hitch plate flat, chances are the attachments will fall when you hit the slightest bump.

I really think you should look for a sleeve hitch, or make your own lift plate that will work on your tractor- maybe with electric actuators.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got the hitch and the toe plow (I found the info for all the attachments that were available - wow). I've seen really old "antique" Craftsmans (at local tire forgotten lawn mower junkyard) that have the vertical back plate with nothing nearby to interfere with any of the members.

Like you say, the actuator arms have to go over-center with regard to the link axes which are probably close to a 45* angle to begin with.

I haven't done a mock-up so I don't know how bad my situation is.

(I'd rather be doing this than this tedious roofing job...)

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts
How invested are you in your tractor? I would look on craigslist and find an inexpensive sears suburban and put the 3 point on that. Then no mods needed and everything works. PA has lots of suburbans

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I'll chime in on this. The vertical rear plate is 1/3 the thickness of the slanted plates (either Sears or Roper) The vertical plate is not capable of supporting ground attachments. Heck, I tried adding a ball hitch to mine and the the plate bent with less than 50# on the trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About my $125 Roper GT18:
  • Cosmetically awful: faded/missing paint and rust.
  • It's missing he side panels and the headlight cover.
  • The firewall area was cut so a car battery could be R&R'd easily.
  • The alternator does not work.
  • The belt drive was all monkeyed up making it difficult to see what was intended (which I did and fixed.) The deck is welded up with a menagerie of rebar, conduit, plate - anything they could get their hands on - but it works.
But the engine and trans were OK.

I scrounged the following attachments:
  • 3 point hitch
  • Bulldozer blade
  • Foot plow
I could have sworn I saw at least one really old Sears with a vertical plate in this time forgotten junk yard, but after looking at 100's of search pics, I'm doubting that I did. I'm included some interesting pics I encounered.

The original intention:

Pics of sloped hitch adapters:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't confirmed it, but does the Sleeve Hitch operate off the mower deck lever?

But then the 3 point allows you to level he plow when one wheel is on the lower plowed soil.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,042 Posts
I haven't confirmed it, but does the Sleeve Hitch operate off the mower deck lever?
depends on which one you get- some do, some have a lift handle just like a 3 point

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts